Ratio Query - Sorry don't undertand it all so any help greatly appreciated!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alltalk

Regular
Currently on a 50/34 - 28 - absolutely go anywhere. Comfortable with this!

Am looking to change to a 53 / 39 - 32 - simply because I have a good deal on it.

Can alternatively swap for the semi 52/ 36 - 32 or 28

Are any of these worth doing and I apologise for being completely useless at Maths but it just hurts my brain! Sorry.

Any help or advice that you think I may be able to understand received with major thanks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Makes not a lot of difference. I use 53 x 39 with a 24T max rear. It's the 50x34 drop that's quite big, and a 53/39 isn't as bad.

OP
OP
A

Alltalk

Regular
Makes not a lot of difference. I use 53 x 39 with a 24T max rear. It's the 50x34 drop that's quite big, and a 53/39 isn't as bad.

I really appreciate the reply but am still as baffled as ever, sorry!

Seems like I huge difference to what I am on. 53 / 24 vs 50 / 28

50/ 34 / 28 now - looking to 53 / 39 / 32 - is the difference huge? I scraped GCSE maths - with a C. Rarely needed it in the 20 years since but wish I had paid a bit more //// F that! - wasn't attention. Was having a teacher that wasn't pushing 70 and actually wanted to tell me why the F Algebra was worth it!!!

Sorry!

My Thompson - you must be dead - 20 years ago!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I really appreciate the reply but am still as baffled as ever, sorry!

Seems like I huge difference to what I am on. 53 / 24 vs 50 / 28

50/ 34 / 28 now - looking to 53 / 39 / 32 - is the difference huge? I scraped GCSE maths - with a C. Rarely needed it in the 20 years since but wish I had paid a bit more //// F that! - wasn't attention. Was having a teacher that wasn't pushing 70 and actually wanted to tell me why the F Algebra was worth it!!!

Sorry!

My Thompson - you must be dead - 20 years ago!!
Use the calculator I just posted :-)

OP
OP
A

Alltalk

Regular
Google a gear calculator. On the face of it doesn't sound too different gear wise as the 39 has a bigger cassette, I'm no expert though but like Fossy said its less of a jump between rings.

Really appreciate taking the time to respond. Just wish I wasn't so mathematically unaware! My main reason for asking is whether I could still tackle the hills I do on the 50 / 28 that I already do? They are not mountains!!

I like riding my bike, Without getting off. I can do 20MPH + on the flat fairly easily. Over a mile. 5 miles would be flat out.
10 miles I'd be dead unless I had a tailwind!

That's about my standard and I'm not ashamed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look at the inches for 39x 32 and 34x 28 to check...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Really appreciate taking the time to respond. Just wish I wasn't so mathematically unaware! My main reason for asking is whether I could still tackle the hills I do on the 50 / 28 that I already do? They are not mountains!!

I like riding my bike, Without getting off. I can do 20MPH + on the flat fairly easily. Over a mile. 5 miles would be flat out.

Feed your numbers into the gear calculator, the lower the gear inches for any given combination the lower the gear. Conversley at the top end, the higher the gear inches the higher the gear. That way you can compare different combinations!

So:
34/28 = 31.8"
39/32 = 32.1"
36/28 = 33.9"
36/32 = 29.7"

So in reality there's not a lot of difference. However going from 53 to 39 gives you a nice tidy drop without the need to do much double shifting and a bigger top end for downhills so I would go with the 53/39 front with the 32T rear.

A 34x24 on the calc is 31.8inches, a 39x32 is 32.1 inches, a slightly higher (harder) gear but there isn't much in it.

OP
OP
A

Alltalk

Regular
Feed your numbers into the gear calculator, the lower the gear inches for any given combination the lower the gear. Conversley at the top end, the higher the gear inches the higher the gear. That way you can compare different combinations!

So:
34/28 = 31.8"
39/32 = 32.1"
36/28 = 33.9"
36/32 = 29.7"

So in reality there's not a lot of difference. However going from 53 to 39 gives you a nice tidy drop without the need to do much double shifting and a bigger top end for downhills so I would go with the 53/39 front with the 32T rear.

To all the people that have helped me out - whilst I still haven't a clue - but am kinda thereabouts - Thank you very much!

As you can probably tell there isn't anything that scientific about the way I ride! If it's much of a muchness I'll do that. I ride because I enjoy it and 90% of the time it's quicker than driving and less stressful.

Stopped at some lights earlier, with the traffic. Some middle aged guy went through them on red. I dropped him. Mile to next lights. Looked over my shoulder when taking position at next set. He had been drafting me the whole way. Overtook me, and the traffic and red light.

I don't even live in a city. To55ers like that with no regard for traffic or signals. The guy was in his 40/50's. No wonder cyclists get bad press.

Anyway!! I have exorcised it on here. I was running full lights. The fact that some middle aged guy was not paying any attention to the highway or cycling code. I'm just glad that there is a forum for big mouths like me, to mouth off!!

I don't live in a city and have never seen such pathetic willy waving middle aged man racing before. And I am a member of a cycling club.

I feel like Elton - although I am not that bothered that some stranger has greased me over.

PHEW - sorry!!

migrantwing

Veteran
It may help the OP if he knew what was close in regards to gear inches.

What amount of difference in inches would make a physical, noticeable difference riding up say a 10%, half mile climb? What difference would there would riding on a flat road at 20+ mph? What constitutes a minor difference or a significant difference? Would it be 2 gear inches, 3 gear inches, 6 gear inches? I ask this as, as much as I understand gear inches and gear ratios, I too struggle to understand the 'real world' difference between a certain 'gear inch' and another.

If a man is 5 feet 7 inches tall, a man at 5 feet 9 inches would not be much taller, yet a man who is 6 feet 4 inches would be physically and noticeably taller than both of them.

OP
OP
A

Alltalk

Regular
It may help the OP if he knew what was close in regards to gear inches.

What amount of difference in inches would make a physical, noticeable difference riding up say a 10%, half mile climb? What difference would there would riding on a flat road at 20+ mph? What constitutes a minor difference or a significant difference? Would it be 2 gear inches, 3 gear inches, 6 gear inches? I ask this as, as much as I understand gear inches and gear ratios, I too struggle to understand the 'real world' difference between a certain 'gear inch' and another.

If a man is 5 feet 7 inches tall, a man at 5 feet 9 inches would not be much taller, yet a man who is 6 feet 4 inches would be physically and noticeably taller than both of them.

You're point is completely valid but, again, way over my head! Apologies for being so dumb!

Was just after the difference between a compact 50/34/ 28 and a 53/39/32 as an example.

Wish I was fit and strong enough to be smashing out the miles at 25MPH - but I'm not!

Well, yeah I could do a mile at that - -then would be knackered haha! The pros average 28 MPH + on the Paris Robaix. Over 120 miles....

sidevalve

Über Member
Some middle aged guy went through them on red.
Ignore criminals - they are fools who spoil it for everyone
. I dropped him. Mile to next lights. Looked over my shoulder when taking position at next set. He had been drafting me the whole way. Overtook me, and the traffic and red light.
Who cares who beat who - you are not in a race and there are no prizes
The pros average 28 MPH + on the Paris Robaix. Over 120 miles....
True but such things apply to all professional sportsmen and women in all sports. Forget it.
Back to the OP = seriously you won't really notice much of a difference. If you're changing because yours is worn do it - if it isn't don't bother. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Top Bottom