rats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
As in actual rats! Or rat, singular to be precise, in my yard. Squeal!
It didn't even have the decency to run away, just sauntered to the corner of the yard and looked at me for a bit before hiding under a box.
We have a rabbit and guinea pigs so I'm guessing the food is attracting it, it hadn't chewed the packet but there is plenty spilled. I know the logical thing is to have a bloody good clean out there but I'm a little terrified of finding a whole family hiding out!
Can I put poison down?
And please tell me they can't get in the hutches, or worse the house!!

Venod

Eh up
We had one feeding of our bird table, I put a box down with poison in it (as below) soon shifted it, I sourced mine from the local farmers supply shop.

http://www.pestcontrolsupermarket.c...it--professional---small-infestation-25-p.asp

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
It didn't even have the decency to run away, just sauntered to the corner of the yard and looked at me for a bit before hiding under a box.
We have a rabbit and guinea pigs so I'm guessing the food is attracting it, it hadn't chewed the packet but there is plenty spilled. I know the logical thing is to have a bloody good clean out there but I'm a little terrified of finding a whole family hiding out!
Can I put poison down?
If you see one rat you've got ten.
They can get anywhere.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Hungarian neighbour once told me that: "We Hungarians are like rats! You are never more than ten metres from a Hungarian!"

Seriously though, have you got any neighbours who've got a terrier? Borrow the dog for an afternoon and shut it in the yard. Block any gaps through which the rat could escape. Google terriers killing rats if you want to see what will happen.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My Hungarian neighbour once told me that: "We Hungarians are like rats! You are never more than ten metres from a Hungarian!"

Seriously though, have you got any neighbours who've got a terrier? Borrow the dog for an afternoon and shut it in the yard. Block any gaps through which the rat could escape. Google terriers killing rats if you want to see what will happen.

Who would want to watch such a thing? Apart from 6 fingered inbred animal sadists like these http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-animals-shreds-jailed-theyll-just-weeks.html who get off watching animals being torn apart!:thumbsdown:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Did I suggest that the OP watches?

"Google terriers killing rats if you want to see what will happen"

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Can I put poison down?
Are there any ground or road works going on near your house? If so they are probably about as they are being disturbed. I had some in my back garden about a decade ago, whilst we were having a new water main installed,,the workmen said it was very common, they soon went away.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I watched what my sister's and niece's border terriers did to their stuffed toy Christmas presents and it was scary! Lovely placid dogs turned into savage predators as soon as their 'prey' was unwrapped ...

After 5 minutes, the toys had been ripped to bits.

Twinks

Über Member
The little Jack Russell down at the yard where my horses live is a brilliant rat catcher (we have loads and cannot get rid). She kills them almost instantly by shaking them and breaking their necks, then she isn't interested in them. However if her sister is out they will rip the rat to shreds between them whether dead or alive. Poison has never eliminated them all and there is always the worry of whatelse gets contaminated. Sometimes I find one as flat as a pancake in the stable when mucking out.........must have been in the wrong place when horsey decided to take a nap:laugh:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
We have a unit that used to belong to a lorry firm and they'd installed a pit for working under lorries. When we first took the unit over, before we started moved stuff in, the occasion rat would end up in the pit, a while after they croaked they would end up pancake flat, like tiny animal skins that people could use for wall hangings or rugs, maybe.

AndyRM

XOXO
An alternative to the dog would be a strong cat. I watched one of ours, Clyde, absolutely batter a large rat in our back patch of concrete. I'd imagine he gets plenty of practise as we live off a high street with 6 takeaways in close proximity.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I've got a jack Russell but I don't think he's up to the job. He'd probably try to play with it. Or hump it.
I'm going to put some poison down and I've cleaned up round the hutches but Im not brave enough to move the stacks of boxes where I suspect ol ratty is bidding out.

Top Bottom