Rats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Nothing to do with cycling but had to vent. My next door neighbour has been putting mounds of dried oats out for the birds(I live on canal and by woodland). Now it's common knowledge that feeding birds by canal is ok so long as food is off ground and doesn't attract rats but just tipping huge amounts onto a patio table Is friggin stupid. We watched an 8" rat just sit eating it today and they are making a home in my dry stone wall behind garage and under decking. Shelter in my garden and feed in hers.
I decided to ask if she minded not putting food out in that manner and was met with a barrage of f**k offs and i don't care, leave my property and if you contact council pest control you will f***ing regret it. I know every one and will see you regret it......
All this from a 60+ year old !!!!
I was incredibly calm and polite and tried to reason and explain my concern at having a 5 year old son and rats in the garden was a little worrying.
Couldn't believe her attitude

I always get " and ' mixed up.

Was it an 8 inch rat or an 8 foot one? If it's the latter, I'd just let it eat what it wants mate.

cats2.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Nothing to do with cycling but had to vent. My next door neighbour has been putting mounds of dried oats out for the birds(I live on canal and by woodland). Now it's common knowledge that feeding birds by canal is ok so long as food is off ground and doesn't attract rats but just tipping huge amounts onto a patio table Is friggin stupid. We watched an 8" rat just sit eating it today and they are making a home in my dry stone wall behind garage and under decking. Shelter in my garden and feed in hers.
I decided to ask if she minded not putting food out in that manner and was met with a barrage of f**k offs and i don't care, leave my property and if you contact council pest control you will f***ing regret it. I know every one and will see you regret it......
All this from a 60+ year old !!!!
I was incredibly calm and polite and tried to reason and explain my concern at having a 5 year old son and rats in the garden was a little worrying.
Couldn't believe her attitude

I'm seriously impressed that she knows every one of the rats. :smile:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
While waiting for the wheels of local government to grind into action, get yourself an air rifle with a good scope and have some fun.

And if a few mortally-wounded rats were to make it, with their dying breaths, over or under the fence to next door it might prompt your neighbour to pause for thought ...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I personally wouldnt bother with poison. Although it works, it takes time to work and the rats can always crawl away to die and the smell is dreadful. .
We had rats under our conservatory, i used poison and ended up with a dead rat behind a cavity wall, i had to smash a hole in the wall to extract it. The smell was terrible, it was an awful job. Trapping would have been far easier.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
We had rats under our conservatory, i used poison and ended up with a dead rat behind a cavity wall, i had to smash a hole in the wall to extract it. The smell was terrible, it was an awful job. Trapping would have been far easier.

We had one croak and rot in the roof cavity at work years ago, the smell goes after about six months.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You're not allowed to release rats. If you trap one you have to kill it.

Personally I would never release either squirrels or rats, but there are always people yes even here who would pillory people who would do the deed. :okay:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Lol

tho a Jack Russel is king ratter if you can get a good one
They are all good. It's in their genes.
Mine catches rats or mice on nearly every walk. I really wish she would get the one in the kitchen though.

Our neighbour puts out bird food on the ground and she also, flushes away her leftover food. She says that she is confined to her bedroom as she is 'over run with rats'. We are not, we just have the one in the kitchen. We have traps down with peanut butter, carp pellets and chocolate - to see which ones see the most action.

Our HA says it's not their problem. Another neighbour (an upstairs one) caught one in a 'humane' trap, took it to the HA office and released it and said "now it's your problem":laugh: They sent a rat man out.

If there is a continual supply of food and a continual supply of outdoor rats, there is a problem. You can't eliminate the numbers of rats because, like mice, they are frantic breeders. You need to eliminate the local supply of food so that they go elsewhere. As others have said, Environmental Health are the people to alert. While waiting for the wheels of local government to grind into action, get yourself an air rifle with a good scope and have some fun.
This ^^^^^
You won't get rid of them by shooting, you need to get rid of the food source.
It is also a myth that waterways provide the best habitat, they always go where the easiest food source exists. Like chavs in corsas outside McDonalds.
I used to shoot hundreds in a year when I lived in west wales, without seemingly denting the population.

Tin Pot

Guru
Next time she starts a rant, knock her out with a single haymaker blow. Tell the cops it was self defence as you feared for your children and life. It's true, after all.

In reality she's probably just feeling rejected by society, needs some friends.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This ^^^^^
You won't get rid of them by shooting, you need to get rid of the food source.
It is also a myth that waterways provide the best habitat, they always go where the easiest food source exists. Like chavs in corsas outside McDonalds.
I used to shoot hundreds in a year when I lived in west wales, without seemingly denting the population.
When does the Chav shooting season start?

Top Bottom