Rattley rat trap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My commuter bike has developed a rattle over the last few months which I'm pretty sure is coming from the sprung rat trap on the luggage rack, as I've tightened everything else.

Does anyone have a suggestion to stop the spring loaded bit rattling bearing in mind I use the rat trap to hold my bike locks when riding?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I use black air hose on my racks mainly to stop the panniers eating into the metal, but it sure quietens everything down. You can buy it quite cheaply with an internal diameter to match the thickness of your rack struts.

Next door in the Netherlands is where you’ll find even rattlier bikes so don’t despair.

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Toe strap. These things have a 1001 uses and this could be one. Easy to get off when you want to carry the lock. Use a bit of wrap like Hector suggests. Get hold of an old inner tube and some good tape.

Thanks for your thoughts...

I use black air hose on my racks mainly to stop the panniers eating into the metal, but it sure quietens everything down. You can buy it quite cheaply with an internal diameter to match the thickness of your rack struts.

Next door in the Netherlands is where you’ll find even rattlier bikes so don’t despair.

It doesn't bother me for the first five minutes but when I hit a gravel road it gets irritating.

Toe strap. These things have a 1001 uses and this could be one. Easy to get off when you want to carry the lock. Use a bit of wrap like Hector suggests. Get hold of an old inner tube and some good tape.

Inner tube: why didn't I think of inner tube?

It must be about time to buy a new bike?:whistle:

Hehe. This is the elderly "not really interesting or worth stealing, move along" bike that gets dumped at various places around the local public transport network.

That said, it's probably no older than my 'favourite' bike.

Roll up a waterproof jacket, slip it under the clip. Makes you loom rugged, manly and prepared too.

I already look rugged, manly and prepared, obviously, but it's a useful idea...

Top Bottom