Rayleigh Vitesse Conversion - Failure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gert Lush

Hey,

I've been reading up but I'm still a bit confused with everything. I have this bike, a Rayleigh Vitesse which I am having no luck selling, so I thought I'd try and convert it to a single speed. What do I need to be able to do it? I think I'd need a cassette style one at the back but do I need a tensioner? And with the front how would I swap it out from a double to a single ring? Also, I'd like to do it on the cheap.

Noobie questions I know but please bear with me.

20150714_150738_zpsndeqgvqe.jpg

OP
OP
Gert Lush

Gert Lush

So.. I'm an idiot. It turns out all I had to do was take the large chainring off and replace the smaller one. I haven't bought a new one yet so I'm gonna leave it under geared because I should only be using it for my short commute.

OP
OP
Gert Lush

Gert Lush

Right so this seems to be a no go. Took all the extra stuff off today. Put the kit on and noticed that the chain would only sit in the tensioner if it was on the big ring. No problem I thought, I'd just take off the big ring and put the small ring on that side except the chainring is riveted! So I can't do that. I don't want to spent the money buying a new crankset as it's just getting to the stage where I could buy a cheaper secondhand bike for this price.

If anyone knows a work around I'd very much like to hear but I think that at the moment it's a failed conversion :sad:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Right so this seems to be a no go. Took all the extra stuff off today. Put the kit on and noticed that the chain would only sit in the tensioner if it was on the big ring. No problem I thought, I'd just take off the big ring and put the small ring on that side except the chainring is riveted! So I can't do that. I don't want to spent the money buying a new crankset as it's just getting to the stage where I could buy a cheaper secondhand bike for this price.

If anyone knows a work around I'd very much like to hear but I think that at the moment it's a failed conversion :sad:

A longer bottom bracket should do it. That will push out the smaller chainring out further to hence you get a better chain line.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I got one of these for under £20, admittedly it is on a 3spd SA bike but it'd work on an SS/Fixed too.

DSCN0040.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll be able to rename it a Vitesse Un or 1.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Google Sheldon brown and read through all the articles on there re gearing, bottom brackets etc. You'll learn a great deal.

OP
OP
Gert Lush

Gert Lush

Thank you for the help everyone but something occurred to me earlier on. If I run it on the front ring a 52, I can get the spacer at the back to run straight and then just change the size of the sprocket at the back from a 16 to maybe 20 and then I'll have a workable ratio without changing the front chainset!

Top Bottom