Rayleigh Vitesse Conversion - Failure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thank you for the help everyone but something occurred to me earlier on. If I run it on the front ring a 52, I can get the spacer at the back to run straight and then just change the size of the sprocket at the back from a 16 to maybe 20 and then I'll have a workable ratio without changing the front chainset!
52 -20 suggests a reasonable cadence of 80 rpm will give you 16.6mph according to Sheldon.

OP
OP
Gert Lush

Gert Lush

52 -20 suggests a reasonable cadence of 80 rpm will give you 16.6mph according to Sheldon.

I think that's fair, mainly going to be used as a commuter I imagine so not gonna be bombing it anyway.

OP
OP
Gert Lush

Gert Lush

Can't for the life of me get a tight chain. I think I need a half link in there. Do I go full half link or just buy one link and a normal chain, as I need one of those too.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
For trial purpose just try a half link , but looking at the picture of your bike in the opening post it doesnt look like you have horizontal drop outs so i think you will end up needing to run a tensioner which is easy enough to do @Gert Lush

OP
OP
Gert Lush

Gert Lush

For trial purpose just try a half link , but looking at the picture of your bike in the opening post it doesnt look like you have horizontal drop outs so i think you will end up needing to run a tensioner which is easy enough to do @Gert Lush

I actually managed to get it working. Looks a bit odd pushing the chain up but it seems to be okay. Not ridden it yet as haven't had the time but am looking to soon. Needed a half link in the chain though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I actually managed to get it working. Looks a bit odd pushing the chain up but it seems to be okay. Not ridden it yet as haven't had the time but am looking to soon. Needed a half link in the chain though.

do you have scope for taking any excess slack out as the chain wears ?

enjoy it once you ride it

Top Bottom