Re-drop and re-gear Scott AFD Expert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is a to-do for the latter stages of recovery from spinal surgery, typing from hospital.
The bike began life with me as a course freebie from a co-op in Plymouth. It was completely stock, so far as I could tell, with Sora/Ritchey 8-speed 52-42-30 and 12-26t at the back.
Was then converted to flat bars, with an Alivio RD-M410 mech and 11-34t cassette.
Currently, it remains the same, but using the original medium cage RD and a hanger extender.
The plan is to return to drops and go to 9-speed, in order to get to 36t at the back.
As far as learning goes, this will be my first time wrapping bars. I'm thinking the neighbours might learn a few new swear words from that...
Medium-term: needs new wheels, so I'll be looking for something as light as the current Shimano R500s, possibly with a few more spokes! Although these have not remotely complained at my weight or the crappy roads hereabouts.
Can't wait to get started!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS how's tho op gone, or are you 'waiting' ?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I was new to bar wrapping until my first go. ;)

I watched a couple of YouTubes and researched a bit on forums then went at it. I had to re-do one side of my first attempt as I had wrapped too closely and ran out of tape, but the tape came off easily and went back on with no issues. Since then I have done it a few more times and it's a ten minute job. Have a think about how you will finish the ends - you often get a decorative finishing tape with the bar tape but sometimes this isn't the best so some electrical tape steps in well. Also useful for holding the cables against the bars before you wrap. There are a couple of ways of wrapping around the levers - I go for the cheaper/easier method of using a cut-off of tape to cover the clamp then wrapping around the lever. There is a more involved 'figure-of-eight' method which uses far more tape and IMHO looks a bit bulky when done (especially with thicker types of tape).

While I'm sat around thinking, the work list has expanded to include a strip and regrease of both hubs and the headset. The headset I now have some idea about, but it will be a first doing wheel bearings. I believe Shimano hubs are standard cup-and-cone?

A selection of parts.
Chain and cassette as previously fitted to the Merida Big Nine 40 D, now rehomed.
Bars from @Yellow Saddle .
Sora 3x9 brifters from the Bay of E.
Alivio RD-M4000 from my son for birthday.
Crivit light set from Lidl.
Have retrieved the bike from storage, and if the C19 really ramps up, will do this work instead of riding it. Only missing bit is bar tape, on order.

Top Bottom