Re-geared my Sturmey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Swapped the 24T sprocket for a 20T and took a link out of the chain.

Gearing WAS 38/50/67.
NOW 45/60/80.

My calcs say 135 Watts at 14.25 mph, which is 80 rpm in middle and 60 rpm in top.

Test ride to IKEA in Coventry. 25 mile round.

60 rpm in top - truely delightful.... sheer relaxation.

2 1/2 hour round trip ( 1/2 hour drinking IKEA's coffee ). I don't feel as if I've been out yet!!!! :eek:

I may go to the Wednesbury IKEA this afternoon,, who want's to watch West Brom on the telly.... :blush:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You're mad. You are totally insane.

Going to Ikea twice in one day? You need professional help. And trauma counselling, probably. Nutter.

:blush:

The bike sounds good. There's something about a hub gear, you can't help but chill a little. I've done 15 miles on a Sturmey myself this morning :eek:

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

TheDoctor said:
You're mad. You are totally insane.

Going to Ikea twice in one day? You need professional help. And trauma counselling, probably. Nutter.

:blush:

The bike sounds good. There's something about a hub gear, you can't help but chill a little. I've done 15 miles on a Sturmey myself this morning :eek:

Their coffee is 100% Arabica.

Bryggkaffe Morkrost. £1.25 for a 250g vacpac. Four packs fit in my small backpack.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Swapped the 24T sprocket for a 20T and took a link out of the chain.

Gearing WAS 38/50/67.
NOW 45/60/80.

got you, 48 front and 26x1.5 tyre?

anyhow, if you don't want the 24, can i buy it?:blush:

on a 635x40 tyre with a 48 front, it'd give me a nice 42,56,&75

tyred

Legendary Member
Lovely.

I did 19 undulating miles on my 40+lb Roadster yesterday. 22t, 44t front, 28" wheel. Longer than normal cranks suit my slower pedaling style. Maybe not very fast but the greatest form of relaxation I've found (so long as you avoid having to stop suddenly. Rod brakes are hopeless). And all the bumps in this road that I normally complain about don't exist on a relaxed geometry bike with huge wheels and a sprung saddle.

The only fear is getting a puncture on the back as the *&^*)_&*^ chain case means wheel removal takes all day.

Top Bottom