Re-occurring Knee Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks - I have been riding over 1 year now. Recently, I was doing a longer ride as a part of my training for a century ride, however about 50 miles into the ride I felt this nagging pain in the upper right knee cap. The pain is especially apparent as I complete the revolution (9 o'clock position). After the ride, the upper right portion of my knee cap was tender to touch and painful. It took a few days, but the pain eventually subsided. The issue is that this pain continues to come back after 10-15 miles into a ride. It's the exact same issue that I experienced on the long ride and I can even replicate it on an exercise bike. I've been trying to focus on strengthening some of my weaker areas such as hips/hamstrings/VMO/quads, but am still experiencing pain. I've also tried making some additional adjustments to my seat, which hasn't seemed to make a difference. I don't suspect my pedals or cleats are the cause, as I've been riding for a year without any issue (I could be wrong). I'm in the process of working through this with my physician, but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar, and how they were able to resolve the situation.

Thanks

BSRU

A Human Being
Knee pain at the front of the knee normally implies the saddle is to low.
It could be your just set too low by a smidgen and the longer rides are exposing the problem.

As per above but knee pain can have many causes, it might not even be your knee but your IT band. Try the saddle but if it doesn't improve, don't ignore it as knee pain will prevent you doing anything if it gets too bad (5 months off so far for me and counting).

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi Folks - I have been riding over 1 year now. Recently, I was doing a longer ride as a part of my training for a century ride, however about 50 miles into the ride I felt this nagging pain in the upper right knee cap. The pain is especially apparent as I complete the revolution (9 o'clock position). After the ride, the upper right portion of my knee cap was tender to touch and painful. It took a few days, but the pain eventually subsided. The issue is that this pain continues to come back after 10-15 miles into a ride. It's the exact same issue that I experienced on the long ride and I can even replicate it on an exercise bike. I've been trying to focus on strengthening some of my weaker areas such as hips/hamstrings/VMO/quads, but am still experiencing pain. I've also tried making some additional adjustments to my seat, which hasn't seemed to make a difference. I don't suspect my pedals or cleats are the cause, as I've been riding for a year without any issue (I could be wrong). I'm in the process of working through this with my physician, but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar, and how they were able to resolve the situation.

Thanks

i had something similar when recovery g from a smidsy and various muscles had weakened resulting in tendons \ kneecap tracking in the wrong way.

sports physio stored it very quickly with targeted rubber band exercises.

in my experience, gp's input in such things is limited to. "oh, yes it's sore"

consult a sports physio!

OP
OP
S

systemofadownafi

Thanks for the responses.

As far as the saddle goes - I've tried multiple adjustments including raising and moving back/forth and at this point I don't feel as though this is the cause.

Crackle - curious, it is knee pain that has kept you off your bike. Why do you suppose it has been so long since you have been able to ride? What are you doing to remedy the situation?

I've committed (to myself) to staying off the bike for at least 6 weeks and in the mean time I'm working on various types of exercises and stretches targeting the IT Band/Hamstrings/Hips/VMO. I'll definitely check back in after.

Top Bottom