Re-reading Armstrong books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is not an Armstrong rant. I have no strong views on that issue.

But... I have read (or re-read) parts of 'It's not about the bike', 'Lance Armstrong's War' and '23 days' in the past few days.

Just flicking through and choosing snippets.

It makes interesting reading. The author of 23 Days now comes across as a more love-blind fanboy than he did when it was published. It is schmaltz verging on adoration.

There's an excellent Hamilton quote in there (supported by the author) along the lines of "It was so frustrating to be accused of taking these things, but we didn't even know what they were!"

Anyway... No opinions or assertions here, just a tip to anyone who follows these things to read some of the fan guff (and more reasoned writing) published about Armstrong and pro-cycling between 2000 and 2006. You will giggle a lot more than you did at the first read.

thom

____
You have to say he/they timed all that profiteering better than Levi Leipheimer did. He has an event about his life story in a few days. Here's a trailer for it:

Voice overs from Phil & Paul. Perhaps he'll be different and fess up in public...

thom

____
It would be interesting to get that story verified - cnn don't claim any fact checking but there were a lot of people on that trip and the author appears willing to discuss it in person.

To relate to the OP, it's funny how things can be seen in a different light further down the line.

Edit : Rather than green light, red lights should probably have been on earlier, questioning his myth.

You haven't read the article, then ?

Errr....which article?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I came away from 'It's not about the bike' thinking that it was unique among autobiographies in that the subject had no desire to be liked - but, that, notwithstanding, people and organisations stood by him when they had no interest in doing so.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
When I read it I genuinely thought it could explain where he learnt how to dope at higher level, in some ways it was almost confessional. All the medical and treatment learning through books etc. Also as per above not really a "I am lovely person" type of bio either.

Competing at the top is a brutal and painful life as illustrated by this recent article about the Olympics - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/08/london-2012-the-pain-games. When I read the book I thought that the equally brutal and painful cancer therapy he went through left him with a much higher pain tolerance than his competitors and winning is all about keeping going and not breaking when your legs and body are screaming at you to stop - whether you have taken drugs or not.

david k

Hi
so being exposed to pain then gives you a greater tolerance of it? not sure it works like that
im also not sure that the only thing a winning cyclist has over others is an improved tolerance of pain, its much more than that

Top Bottom