Re useable chain links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

My bike has the original chain still fitted as it’s pretty much brand new.

I like to take my chains off to clean but usually wait until I fit a replacement to do so.

Can anyone link me a decent re useable chain link, I have 9speed sora with kmc chain.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get 9 speed KMC Link From LBS or Online? You may have to pay postage if that’s all you get though
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-missing-link-pair

Just clean the section of chain properly. Wiggle all the links. If it's still difficult, drown in WD40 and re-wiggle.

They do come apart, I've never needed the special tools (although I did buy some once that doubled as tyre levers - then lost them inside 6 months!)

(It does help to practice with an immaculate/new one in a warm garage, just so you're sure in your mind how they come apart.)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are all kinds of tricks for them if you have an aversion to purpose made tools. Some of them even work.^_^

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its applying the squeeze and pressure in the right direction if doing it by hand that is the knack. I have found myself straining away for ages and a subtle change of direction and it magically comes apart.

That said chain cleaning by the mickle method means there is little need to remove a chain once fitted, although those removal pliers are something that i keep meaning to buy.

Top Bottom