Reaction to Deep Muscle Injection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had a few gamma globulin jabs in my bum as protection against hepatitis when travelling in the East. The amount of fluid they injected was quite substantial and I think the fluid is quite viscous but I may be wrong. The jabs themselves were not particularly painful but my bum ached like crazy after a while. I don't think that it's the injection site that's the problem because I've had steroid jabs there without problems, it's just what they stuff into you.

Tankengine

You can ask whoever is injecting to give you the dose as slowly as possible.
I have IM injections once every 12 weeks about 4ml. It's pretty oily stuff, the slower it is injected,the less pain (later on!!!) you get. One dr I had told me a 4ml shot should take about 2 minutes. I've had nurses do it in about 20 seconds on occasion :blink: . Slower the better!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I should be on the 10-12 week one that I know takes a couple of minutes. But the doc said they used another brand which I knew only lasts 3 weeks. I corrected the Nurse and said I needed to be back in 3 weeks for the next. The doc has just passed my repeat onto the chemist so it looks like he won't give me more than 1 at a time meeting multiple trips to chemist.

The nurse did take her time with it.

Tankengine

Fair enough, might just be a getting used to it thing then.

Bit annoying/weird about multiple trips. Might be worth asking if GP will prescribe 3 or 4 vials at a time to say you the hustle. Will they teach you to self inject if your on the 3 weekly stuff? That made it less annoying when I was on that, just because you don't need to keep going back to the drs and sort out appointments etc.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Fair enough, might just be a getting used to it thing then.

Bit annoying/weird about multiple trips. Might be worth asking if GP will prescribe 3 or 4 vials at a time to say you the hustle. Will they teach you to self inject if your on the 3 weekly stuff? That made it less annoying when I was on that, just because you don't need to keep going back to the drs and sort out appointments etc.

I'll stick to what he's advised until I get my bloods done again, probably at the 9 week mark. My Endo had suuggested the 12 weekly injection may be better.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

2nd injection yesterday. Must not let it go over the 3 weeks as I felt crap over Easter weekend.

So far not as painful day after but feels like sciatic nerve has been tweaked !

Order placed for next one

Top Bottom