Read any good books?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive got a few authors and series that I read and re-read.

Simon Scarrow - Eagles series (Roman Army adventures)
Anthony Riches - Empire series (Roman Army adventures)
John Connolly - beautifully written crime horror, with some supernatural elements
Ian Rankin - Rebus series

There are lots of other books which I read, but these tend to be one-offs. I like series where I can get into characters and I have read the above 4 authors until I can just about quote the text.

Anyone got any other recommendations?

I'm re reading the book that redefined travel writing.
Bruce Chatwin, In Patagonia. Must be the 10th time I've read it, and it's still superb.

CentralCommuter

Ive got a few authors and series that I read and re-read.

Simon Scarrow - Eagles series (Roman Army adventures)
Anthony Riches - Empire series (Roman Army adventures)
John Connolly - beautifully written crime horror, with some supernatural elements
Ian Rankin - Rebus series

There are lots of other books which I read, but these tend to be one-offs. I like series where I can get into characters and I have read the above 4 authors until I can just about quote the text.

Anyone got any other recommendations?

if you like a good crime series:

Val McDermid - Tony Hill and DI Carol Jordan series
Ann Cleeves - Shetland series
Doug Johnstone - Skelf series (3rd book out now)

Have many more recommendations, but those series are high up on the roster.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Last edited:

dodgy

I'm not a fan of fiction, I do enjoy a bit of travel writing and also auto-biographies. I used to be a fan of Bill Bryson but his latest work doesn't appeal.
Would love to get some inspiration to try something new, newly retired and I do want to get back into reading.

Would love to get some inspiration to try something new, newly retired and I do want to get back into reading.
Try Max Hastings. Military history. Very readable.
Ben MacIntyre.
The aforementioned Bruce Chatwin.
Wensley Clarkson for stories of big crimes - Brinksmat, John Palmer, Kenneth Noye, Hatton Garden etc.

Gillstay

Über Member
I'm not a fan of fiction, I do enjoy a bit of travel writing and also auto-biographies. I used to be a fan of Bill Bryson but his latest work doesn't appeal.
Have you read Chicken Hawk ? Quite a book.

As I mentioned I am re reading my well thumbed paperback book.
Just out of interest I had a look for a hardback copy. They are selling for anywhere between £500 to £2,000. Used,of course.
Wow.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Seamus Heaney, Beowulf ... multi lingual version, English and Anglo-Saxon.
No, I don't speak A-S ... gibberish and drivel are my second languages.
^_^

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not just read it,but keep it at hand for constant guidance! 🧐

Top Bottom