Read any good books?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
As I mentioned I am re reading my well thumbed paperback book.
Just out of interest I had a look for a hardback copy. They are selling for anywhere between £500 to £2,000. Used,of course.
Wow.
I noticed that with Chicken hawk and bought 6 copies just in time for them to re print it and the prices to plummet. I look at them on the shelf and suck my teeth occasionally to remind myself about what happens to investments.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Double Standards, book about Rudolf Hess, The Chatham Scandal about deprivation and prostitution in the past, and The Thursday murder club, very funny.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I enjoyed The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83¼ Years Old. Can be a bit depressing, if you are nearing that stage of your life, but, generally, amusing ;)

Currently reading A Promised Land, Barack Obama, I reserve judgement, only about 20% of way through it.

Recently read Peter James, Inspector Grace books, in order, good "holiday read", but, a lot of cut and paste repetition.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Tom Clancy.
Andy McNab.
Lee Child.
Wilbur Smith.

What more does a red blooded man need?
Jane Austen?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Recently read the Patrick Melrose novels by Edward St Aubyn - best writing I've come across in years, and I read a lot of books. Now following up with John Updike's Rabbit series - again, the writing is astonishingly good.... "...since Pop passed on, after holding on without Mom for a couple of years, doing all the yardwork and vacuuming and meals by himself until his emphysema just got too bad and you’d find him sitting in a chair all curled over like a hand sheltering a guttering candleflame from the wind."

stephec

Legendary Member
It's probably a struggle to get a 100% accurate account of anything from WWII if you're writing a book now and relying on interviewing eye witnesses.

If you read Damien Lewis's books from that period he always has a disclaimer at the start to say he's filled the blanks in as he imagines it, or made up bits if you want to look at it another way.

Top Bottom