Read any good books?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
Currently half way through Troubled Blood - Robert Galbraith.
Its very good. 5th in the series, all great stories, and another 10 at least, planned.
The Twittersphere will be after you. They are probably already sneaking up on you

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm really only into travel books and accounts, so novels don't appeal much. Currently I'm finishing Paul Theroux's "Ghost Train to the Eastern Star", which is a 30 years later revisit of his route on "The Great Railway Bazaar" in 1975. It's very good.
Actually the more I've read of Theroux, the more he strikes me as quite an unlikeable human being, but his travel writing is close to peerless.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Tea Leaf Paradox by Robert Middleton.
He goes round visiting micro breweries in a campervan.
I find a lot of travel books irritating as when they get to areas I know well the book is riddled with errors which makes anything else suspect. This one is not too bad.
Some I suspect are written are written using streetview and a map with no actual visiting involved.

Gillstay

Über Member
The Tea Leaf Paradox by Robert Middleton.
He goes round visiting micro breweries in a campervan.
I find a lot of travel books irritating as when they get to areas I know well the book is riddled with errors which makes anything else suspect. This one is not too bad.
Some I suspect are written are written using streetview and a map with no actual visiting involved.
Either that or the brewery products are very good. ^_^

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd suggest anything by Bernard Cornwell, just finished re-reading his 'Last Kingdom' series of books in order (I had a lot of them before any of it was televised) but he has written so much more , I'd recommend Gallows Thief and his two sailing based books Stormchild and Wildtrack.

View: https://youtu.be/l6Dsjlwol0Q

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Cornwell_bibliography

+1 for Bernard Cornwell, I've yet to find a bad book from him and he sounds up your street.

Lee Child, the Jack Reacher books have been excellent but the last couple I didn't think were as good - he appears to be sharing writing duties now which may be related...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
+1 for Bernard Cornwell, I've yet to find a bad book from him and he sounds up your street.

Lee Child, the Jack Reacher books have been excellent but the last couple I didn't think were as good - he appears to be sharing writing duties now which may be related...
Currently re-reading 'The Warlord Chronicles'

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have so many books I keep getting surprised by finding ones I forgot I had.
There are also a lot on my Kindle and I have difficulty remembering the titles of ones I want to reread.
I eventually found Blazing Bicycle Saddles by James Clarke. Light hearted account of the travels of some retired South African newspaper men in Europe.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The Twittersphere will be after you. They are probably already sneaking up on you
I have very alert dogs. They will bark if any twits come near.
Why would the twitters be after me? JK said she was writing loads and loads? It’s common knowledge.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Sebastian Fawkes, start with Birdsong :okay:
I've got Charlotte Grey waiting to be re-read (unfortunately I really only read when travelling and guess what...)

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
If you have never read this book, originally published in 1955, now is the time:
A debate rages amongst its readership concerning its authenticity. The film The Way Back (2010) deviates widely from the book and adds nothing to the debate. Read it, research it, make up your own mind. 'The vastness of Siberia is awful…'

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm really only into travel books and accounts, so novels don't appeal much. Currently I'm finishing Paul Theroux's "Ghost Train to the Eastern Star", which is a 30 years later revisit of his route on "The Great Railway Bazaar" in 1975. It's very good.
Actually the more I've read of Theroux, the more he strikes me as quite an unlikeable human being, but his travel writing is close to peerless.

I heard "The great railway bazaar" read on the radio many years ago and it was indeed very good. Having read his follow up "The old pategonian express" or whatever it was he did very much come across as a miserable sod. He was very scathing about mere tourists whilst he was a "traveller", presumably more worthy as he was determined to have a miserable time whilst they were frivolously enjoying their trip.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I heard "The great railway bazaar" read on the radio many years ago and it was indeed very good. Having read his follow up "The old pategonian express" or whatever it was he did very much come across as a miserable sod. He was very scathing about mere tourists whilst he was a "traveller", presumably more worthy as he was determined to have a miserable time whilst they were frivolously enjoying their trip.
That's well observed and exactly my issue, he'll only travel in sleeper cars on trains, and then in the same breath he berates tourists in 3rd class who aren't "proper" travellers like he is, suffereing for his art.
In Ghost Train he attacks Michael Palin for "not being a proper traveller", assuming he has a make up artist and a man to carry his bags. Paul, I couldn't give a fig, he's a fantastic travel presenter.
And then he likes to spot people reading his books, and takes too much pride in revealing himself as "the great author"! Why he has to mention that is beyond me, just pure ego I presume.

It's a shame because as I say, his accounts are so well written and (generally) a fabulous read.

Top Bottom