Read it and weep!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Comment Of The Day
I'VE been impressed at the number of cyclists using our roads recently in the morning rush hour.
When they are having to fight against the huge volume of traffic, combined with the pollution from exhaust fumes, I admire their bravery.
But only one out of the 20 or so cyclists I saw actually dismounted to cross at the green man, instead of cycling through the red traffic light.
If cyclists want to use the roads, they should follow the same Highway Code as drivers. They ought to remember that they are not immune to being stopped for going through a red light.
Jill Ferguson, Glasgow "

Great public information published in a Scottish red top.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/commen...d-alert-for-all-road-cyclists-86908-20588436/

Words fail me....

(I pointed this letter out to a colleague and a discussion on cycling ensued. He told me that when he was out on his bike last night, he thought he was going to get pulled over by the police for cycling without a helmet...)

Tynan

Veteran
quite correct surely?

what's the problem?

Not really Tynan.

Yeah you shouldn't RLJ.

But: all the cycle paths that are crossing controlled have bike and pedestrian signals - so you can ride across legitimately (and if they don't have bike signals then they are pelican crossings from pavements and you shouldn't be cycling on them, never mind getting off your bike to walk across).

So you have someone spraffing off about the Highway Code (& dismounting to cross a junction) when they actually don't know how the code applies to shared facilities

Plus the way the letter is presented suggests that cyclists are obliged to dismount at major junctions and become a pedestrian rather than being part of the traffic.

Tynan

Veteran
I assumed the piece you pasted summarised, it sounded like she was talking about cyclists dismounting to use the ped crossings

If you are on the road then you go with the road lights, if you are on a cycle path then there should be a Green BIKE not a green man that you are directed by.

I guess there is nothing wrong with using the road but going on a cycle path when the lights are in your favour but it usually involves a bit of chopping about of direction which can be confusing so dangerous.

Top Bottom