"Read the label"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Been having some toothache grief over recent days, and I found myself the other evening saying to 'er indores: "Is it ok to take aspirin and paracetamol and ibuprofen all at the same time?" "No," she says. "Oh, that's a shame." "Why?" "'Cos I just did." Cue much eye-rolling, bewailing, rude name-calling. Still, I'm here to tell the tale.

When I picked up the prescription antibiotics from the chemist, the nice lady cautioned me against taking them with alcohol. Yeah, yeah, of course they say that. Like I'm going to give up my evening pint. I'm sure I read somewhere that that's an old wives tale etc etc. But on a once-bitten just to be on the safe side basis I googled the name of the drug + alcohol, and...

I was on Metronidazole for my gums once, but the dentist forgot to tell me that drinking alcohol would cause me great pain whilst on it...

Long story short; take it from me, do not do it, at all!

and:

right well basically metronidazole is a precursor (innactivated) form of a very toxic drug. The way it detects bacteria is by relying on the fact that the bacteria metronidazole are good at killing are anaerobes (dont use oxygen - good example is plain h. pylori (stomach ulcer bacterium)). Normally this is great because our cells use oxygen (are aerobic) so the bacteria are targeted and destroyed. If you drink even a modest amount of alcohol this will cause some of your cells to start respiring anaerobically - just a thing alcohol does. This means the antibiotic will target your cells too and kill them. End result you get very sick. Ive been told the effects are somewhat similar to those of people taking antabuse - basically drinking anything will make you feel nauseous and potentially be sick.

and:

Metronidazole is prescibed far too readily as a "cure all",especially by dentists. Its a potent drug which disrupts the lives of the majority of users to some extent from mild stomach upsets to fainting, fits and commonly nausea. Using alcohol with the drug is always going to lead to problems.Interestingly in some countries Metronidazole is rarely prescribed except as a 'last resort' and certainly not for abcess or gum diseases.The thing is it is very cheap to produce so the drug companies push it.Itdoes the job but you have to accept a week or more of feeling absolutely crap.

Fortunately, tho' I also found:

Your all a big bunch of student f@nnies, I'm on Metronidazole for a gum infection and I went out last night and got so drunk I don't even remember going home, at no point in the evening did I get ANY of your supposed side effects and I felt so fine this morning I made it to my work (unlike some others!!!) so stuff your advice up your @rse because you CAN drink alcohol with these tablets, in any quantity you like!

So that's me sorted. Cheers!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I got some antibiotics from the doc once, and she told me not to drink alcohol. Then she said 'I really mean it with these...' :laugh:
So I didn't tempt fate.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You do have to be careful. Couple of the drugs I was on some months back could have 'enhanced' effects with alcohol.

Paracetemol and ibuprofen work quite well if spaced two hours apart - good for bad flu symptoms. I wouldn't add asprin to that mix though.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Your all a big bunch of student f@nnies, I'm on Metronidazole for a gum infection and I went out last night and got so drunk I don't even remember going home, at no point in the evening did I get ANY of your supposed side effects and I felt so fine this morning I made it to my work (unlike some others!!!) so stuff your advice up your @rse because you CAN drink alcohol with these tablets, in any quantity you like!
A nice little wynd up?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Alcohol and Metronidazole is an absolute no-no. It is not uncommon for people (particularly young people who think they know better) to end up in A&E because they've ignored the warnings...

When you have finished the course, it is a good idea to refrain from alcohol for another 48-72 hours.
Yikes! I'm in my '50s but I think I know better. Almost a fortnight without beer. I guess this toothache ain't that bad after all...

Tim Hall

My dentist said 50% of the population have an Antabuse type reaction with Metronidazole (trade name Flagyl), but it's really really not worth finding out which half of the population you're in.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Alcohol and Metronidazole is an absolute no-no. It is not uncommon for people (particularly young people who think they know better) to end up in A&E because they've ignored the warnings...

When you have finished the course, it is a good idea to refrain from alcohol for another 48-72 hours.
i was prescribed a metronidazole gel for my rosacea... it didn't work, maybe now i know why :shy:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You're less likely to get severe reactions with the gel as the dose is much lower than with the oral treatment.
no reactions at all... it just didn't reduce the redness. My latest plan is to cut the meat out of my diet (and possibly dairy too)... and see what happens.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was under the impression most antibiotics just dont work if you have alchohol..

and some drugs that say Avoid can make a pint feel like you had 6..

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Aspirin and paracetemol and for that matter opiates like codeine all work in different ways so it's fine to take 'em all together up to their individual max dose ie you can have the max for each at same time.

Aspirin and ibrupophen are fairly similar to each other so it could cause problems if you mix - at least don't double up.

I believe parecetomal can be very toxic causing permanent liver damage if you take too much so that's the one to be wary of if you have screaming toothache and nothing much works

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Aspirin and paracetemol and for that matter opiates like codeine all work in different ways so it's fine to take 'em all together up to their individual max dose ie you can have the max for each at same time.

Aspirin and ibrupophen are fairly similar to each other so it could cause problems if you mix - at least don't double up.

I believe parecetomal can be very toxic causing permanent liver damage if you take too much so that's the one to be wary of if you have screaming toothache and nothing much works
Yes, I only discovered that recently - and apparently a paracetamol death is a particularly nasty one. You die quite slowly, and there's absolutely nothing anyone can do. You'd think it would be more widely publicised. I certainly bored my daughters with it when I found out.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
That drug makes me go mad with anxiety and panic, it really does takes ages for it to wear off. I avoid it at all costs now.

Top Bottom