England : Berkshire Reading CTC Parks & Palaces ride Saturday 10th November 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbird

Über Member
This is a ride with parks, history, royal connections and vistas of splendour. We will ride at a moderate pace (10-12mph) from Reading via
  • Windsor Castle
  • Runnymede Park
  • Bushy Park
  • Hampton Court Palace
  • Richmond Park
  • Fulham Palace
  • Battersea Park
  • St James Park
  • Green Park
  • Buckingham Palace
  • Hyde Park
  • and along Old Father Thames for 2 or 3 stretches
to Paddington. Some of us will take in post-ride refreshments in one of the watering holes around Paddington basin or may even head off to Look Mum No Hands. The democracy will decide.

Elevenses in Ascot, lunch in Hampton.

If you are Reading bound a train home if you wish, singles are under £9. Or an unpleasant ride back more or less along the A4 will be around 40 miles.

We leave the fountain in Caversham, Reading by the Thames at 9.15am and can pick up along the way if requested.

Route here.

If you are planning to come then do let me know so I can plan numbers. Only 5 non-CTC members can join us so pass on your membership number if you have one.

Simon

Dan_h

I am a member of Reading CTC and have only just noticed these threads! Unfortunately I am getting married on the 9th so going for a ride all day on the 10th might not be on.... although it might be a way to escape from the (then actual) inlaws!! Oh well, perhaps next time!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
This sounds interesting, I'll provisionally say yes. I'll PM you with my CTC number.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Interested. Would probably turn off somewhere in the vicinity of Buck House to head back to Waterloo or Victoria for train south- if you have an idea about timings, Simon, that would be handy, Southern's advance fares would be cheapest for me. CTC affiliate member so no problem with the insurance.

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Timings eh? Okay. It's a 60 miles total distance, set off from the Fountain in Caversham, Reading at 9.15am, elevenses at Ascot, lunch at Hampton so I'm anticipating arriving at Buck House between 5 and 6pm barring mechanicals, weather and the speed of the group. The larger the group the slower the ride so I can't say for sure.

Does that help?

Also some of us will hang around in "town" to partake of food and refreshments either in Paddington Basin or at Look mum no hands.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Timings eh? Okay. It's a 60 miles total distance, set off from the Fountain in Caversham, Reading at 9.15am, elevenses at Ascot, lunch at Hampton so I'm anticipating arriving at Buck House between 5 and 6pm barring mechanicals, weather and the speed of the group. The larger the group the slower the ride so I can't say for sure.

Does that help?

Also some of us will hang around in "town" to partake of food and refreshments either in Paddington Basin or at Look mum no hands.
Ta!

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Simon, can you put me down for this and it maybe a plus one (non CTC member) but I will confirm this weekend. Probably see you at the AGM on Sunday?

Titus

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hi Simon,

Depending on if I get tickets to see Norwich v Reading or not, I might well be up for this as it looks interesting.

Am a CTC member with the Fridays, ill find my number for you..

Bit confused re the route in my neck of the woods though, Staines, where you go over Staines Bridge and go briefly along the riverside to join back on the Laleham road though. The joining bit on the Laleham can be a right night mare and if you have a number of cyclists, this could end up quite fragmented.. If you don't mind me saying, it would be best to either carry on down the Riverside path for a bit or just carry on on the main road...

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Simon, can you put me down for this and it maybe a plus one (non CTC member) but I will confirm this weekend. Probably see you at the AGM on Sunday?

Titus
Done. And yes at AGM on Sunday. Coming on my brisk ride beforehand?

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Hi Simon,

Depending on if I get tickets to see Norwich v Reading or not, I might well be up for this as it looks interesting.

Bit confused re the route in my neck of the woods though, Staines, where you go over Staines Bridge and go briefly along the riverside to join back on the Laleham road though. The joining bit on the Laleham can be a right night mare and if you have a number of cyclists, this could end up quite fragmented.. If you don't mind me saying, it would be best to either carry on down the Riverside path for a bit or just carry on on the main road...

Great. Also added to the list. Bit tempted by the game myself (as a Reading fan) but committed now.

Anyway, the route through Staines crosses the bridge south to north, doubles-back on the rubbish cycleway to go under the bridge then along the Thames for a bit to re-join the road at the junction of Thames St and South St then following the Staines Road to Shepperton Road and then Laleham Road into Shepperton. It was okay on the last recce but there were only 2 of us. If you do make the ride and want to show the way I'm more than happy to hand over the lead to use your local knowledge. Or perhaps make a suggestion via here? Thanks.

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Great. Also added to the list. Bit tempted by the game myself (as a Reading fan) but committed now.

Anyway, the route through Staines crosses the bridge south to north, doubles-back on the rubbish cycleway to go under the bridge then along the Thames for a bit to re-join the road at the junction of Thames St and South St then following the Staines Road to Shepperton Road and then Laleham Road into Shepperton. It was okay on the last recce but there were only 2 of us. If you do make the ride and want to show the way I'm more than happy to hand over the lead to use your local knowledge. Or perhaps make a suggestion via here? Thanks.
Sorry - "rubbish cycleway" was a bit harsh. Normal for Britain, perhaps?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hi Simon,

does that go down by Docket Eddy Lane, Davy?

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
does that go down by Docket Eddy Lane, Davy?
Ah well, my first planned route would go down that road to take in the ferry crossing but after a recce most of the Thameside path was discarded as it proved more challenging than I'd wanted. We now plan to go further north of there through Shepperton town.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster

Many thanks! Ah, some Norwich v Reading rivalry for the day.. sounds good to me. I am now in for this ride as agreed to a commitment for Saturday night, so I will get the train over to the start.

If you want to do the cycle path on the river as above, ild probably go through the car park and join Thames St at the lights, or carry on down the Riverside Path to a cut through at the end of Riverfield Road and join the Laleham road there.. that way would not be trike friendly however.. but, yes, this all depends on numbers.. And yes, by all means use my local knowledge no worries. Ta.

Bumble

Regular
Simon,
I am interested if a fair weather day and I can persuade my ex to have the kids for the day. I live in Maidenhead so probably want to meet you somewhere, perhaps as you go over the M4 towards Drift Road? What time do you think you would be there? CTC membership number A10034565. Will be on my Brompton, but did similar route couple of weeks ago on Princes Trust, Palace to Palace.
Thanks
Alice

Top Bottom