England : Berkshire Reading CTC Parks & Palaces ride Saturday 10th November 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisBailey

[URL='https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=213132067593543884005.0004ca9fe4f95978bb729&msa=0&ll=51.415053 said:
.[/URL]

If you are planning to come then do let me know so I can plan numbers. Only 5 non-CTC members can join us so pass on your membership number if you have one.

Simon

Simon

Please put me down as a likely possible (I'm a CTC member, #A/7119079)

I live in Hampton Hill, so would probably ride the route backwards to join the ride, meeting maybe in Ascot for Elevenses, do you have a cafe in mind? (and can you PM your mobile just in case)

Thanks

Chris

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Simon,
I am interested if a fair weather day and I can persuade my ex to have the kids for the day. I live in Maidenhead so probably want to meet you somewhere, perhaps as you go over the M4 towards Drift Road? What time do you think you would be there? CTC membership number A10034565. Will be on my Brompton, but did similar route couple of weeks ago on Princes Trust, Palace to Palace.
Thanks
Alice
Alice - I'd suggest meeting at Costa's from Maidenhead rather than having you hang about near the Drift road. My mobile should you need it is 07846 219114.

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Simon

Please put me down as a likely possible (I'm a CTC member, #A/7119079)

I live in Hampton Hill, so would probably ride the route backwards to join the ride, meeting maybe in Ascot for Elevenses, do you have a cafe in mind? (and can you PM your mobile just in case)

Thanks

Chris
Chris - see my posts above for information. See you then.

Bumble

Regular
Alice - I'd suggest meeting at Costa's from Maidenhead rather than having you hang about near the Drift road. My mobile should you need it is 07846 219114.
Sounds good, the one by the Cinema? Are you sure you want to come into Maidenhead, as that did not look like the original route. Alice

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
No, I meant meet at Costa's on Ascot High Street as you would be coming from Maidenhead. Sorry for my poor explanation.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Simon,

As there are 3 or 4 souls coming down from the 'Smoke' are you planning on doing a pick up outside Reading railway station on the way through?

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Simon,

As there are 3 or 4 souls coming down from the 'Smoke' are you planning on doing a pick up outside Reading railway station on the way through?
The route goes north of the Thames via Sonning so although a pick up at the station is possible I'd rather not do the detour if that's okay.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hi Simon,

I think I am going to have to pull out of this ride, I am sorry. My sister has informed me that she is having lazer eye surgery this Saturday and am likely to be needed to take her home... Lucky then that I didnt buy footy tickets as I would have told her where to go.. hahaha.

Will update you asap.

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Hi Simon,

I think I am going to have to pull out of this ride, I am sorry. My sister has informed me that she is having lazer eye surgery this Saturday and am likely to be needed to take her home... Lucky then that I didnt buy footy tickets as I would have told her where to go.. hahaha.

Will update you asap.
Your priorities are spot on and I hope your sister's surgery goes well. If we see you on the day that'll be great but family is always #1 priority for me so I understand.

ChrisBailey

As a FNRttC regular this was a fun diversion, a different Simon leading the ride and riding into London not away and mostly in daylight was also unusual.

I rode from Hampton Hill to Ascot and waited at Costa for the ride to arrive. Titus and his girlfriend, on matching his and hers Bromptons, arrived first by dint of having got left behind (for a mechanical?) and then overtaking the rest of the ride by taking a shortcut.

26 riders and to me a very familiar route via Shepperton into East Molesey for lunch then through Richmond Park and into London.

The ride was fun, Simon ever keen to take advantage of local knowledge allowed me to guide the ride through Kingston to get to Richmond Park and Mice in many parts of London as we first went to Buck House and then to a pub in Lancaster Gate for a few beers prior to the trains back to Reading.

BUT on a descent out of Windsor Park down to Staines following Titus down a wet slippery 13% descent of Tile Hill(?) he came off, (avoiding a car that was too close?) an unpleasant crash against the kerb resulting in some nasty marks on the left side of his face and complaints about a sore right arm. he continued for a few miles and then in Staines decided to call in a day.

Later on we heard further news on Titus, I understand he has a broken arm.

Speedy recovery Titus

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Was it Tite Hill maybe? Joan and I rode up Middle Hill and past the Tite one this afternoon not long after passing a load of cyclists going the other way along the Lower Hampton Road with one or two faces that looked like they may be familiar.

Sorrry to hear about your injuries, Titus. GWS.

Top Bottom