Ready for White Down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Naaah - Pilgrim Cycles in Westhumble. Closer, and you can drool over the Surlys, Daweses, and now Spas too. Avoid Leatherhead at all costs (^_^ speaking as a resident)

Just got back from doing just that - up Ranmore, down Whitedown, then turn round and reverse, till refreshing on coffee and flapjack at Pilgrim Cycles. The main thing that struck me about Whitedown that I have 't noticed before was the number of cracks in the base of the pill box. I would guess it is slowly slipping into the road.

Difficult call. Pilgrims has advantages but Annie has better cakes and is closer to home (Wimbledon)

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Im visiting my children in Horsham next weekend and am thinking of giving this sportive a go on sunday morning . If you see a Jerry Atrik in Mid Devon cc kit on the way up give me a push !

rb58

Enigma
It's been a couple of years since I've been up White Down. It's not the gradient I remember, it's the dreadful state of the road surface. Is it better now?

Like the others have said, go for it. Like all trophy climbs, my approach is not to attack the bottom of the hill.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I was up it yesterday - I ground it out doing Box Hill, Coldharbour, Leith and then White Down - I passed four or five people pushing their bikes, I hope you weren't one of them!

Tim Hall

I was up it yesterday - I ground it out doing Box Hill, Coldharbour, Leith and then White Down - I passed four or five people pushing their bikes, I hope you weren't one of them!

<twitch>Leith Hill. Not Leith. Leith is in Scotland, where the police dismisseth us. (well done for getting up, it's a bit character forming)

Top Bottom