Ready to chuck it out the window!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yeah that's what I was thinking after ding some research. Does replacing a cassette require a special tool?
I have this
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-cassette-remover/
and this
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-7-11-speed-chain-whip/

ayceejay

Guru
cogs.jpg

the cog on the right is worn the one on the left isn't

View attachment 90318
the cog on the right is worn the one on the left isn't

Part of the problem is that different cogs in the cassette will wear differently, so may not all need changing (in theory), also the wear and skipping is more severe inteh smaller cogs.

Finally in many cases the first few cogs are fixed as a ate with only the last few as single items

I can change tyres, fix punctures, clean it and fit/change various parts...but indexing....it confuddles my brain! :wacko:
Don't sell yourself short. I think you did very well. Indexing can be very dicey when more than one part is not where it should be including cable tension.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Well, I gave in. I can't bloody index gears! :laugh:
I ran it up to my LBS in the car, where they had it on a stand and sorted in about 2 mins.
I am forever disgraced and we shall not mention this again :whistle:

Dont worry about it, when I replace the gear cables on my bike I just get the LBS to index it properly as they do it all day long. That and head sets are the only 2 things I wont do on my bike. I know my limits :smile:

Herbie

Veteran
Help! I don't know whats going on here.
I fitted a new chain yesterday. The gears had been a bit lumpy - changing from 2 to 1 was a pain and it rarely dropped into gear unless I was going at speed, and changing up from 1 to 2 needed a second nudge of the gear shifter to drop it in.

I adjusted the gears the way I thought was right, but it's worse than ever!
Just had it out a test run and as I'm pedalling the gears are jumping about!

It's on the stand now and I've taken a picture.
The chain is rubbing against the far side of the front derailleur (that's the part right?) and also rubbing the tyre!
What's going on and how do I sort it. I need the bike for tomorrow and as it stands I can't ride it!

View attachment 90183

Good bike shop. Would work for me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
TBH whenever I need to change a cassette or freewheel I take the wheel in to the shop and when I am about to pay for the new one ask "Could you just swap it over for me". they normally don't charge me for this but that is just taking the wheel in, might be different if it was still in the bike (more work)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Just so you don't feel too bad, I'm hopeless at gears but getting slightly better now (only been 8 years getting to this point so far!).

I have changed a cassette and so I would rate it as easier than gears, but it did require some tools, (though my brain can't remember which ones).

As for gears I am jubilant in that recently CC helped me to adjust the front one over a series of posts, and the bits that seem to have gone in (they may not be correct) are:

that its easier to adjust the gear cable tension when you aren't on the big ring, less cable tension.
When sitting on the bike and using the barrel adjuster on the left side, rotate it towards me (the top of the adjuster, so clockwise from the end of the handlebar) to ..... Err I've forgotten, see I'm hopeless too:blush:

However what I learned was that I could adjust it a little as I was cycling to see if the adjustment helped or not and listening to see which gears it rubbed in.

I'd be out of my depth with it being too close to the wheel, that might get me worried that it wasn't aligned properly and so then I'd go to the LBS too!

I'm not sure this post offers anything in the way of help but at least it offers comradeship!:hugs:

Top Bottom