'Real' pedals and shoes. How long before making the leap??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello, I have had my bike for just under two weeks now and I have just fitted normal pedals on it to start off with.

On a run on Sunday there, I met some French Tourists at Loch Lomond who were VERY surprised that I didn't have the proper clipless pedals and shoes on a bike like mine (actually, it made me feel rather stupid), and this got me thinking. How long should I really wait until I make the change??

Should I do it ASAP to avoid gettting bad habits?? when I am ready?? or should I be doing certain things to run myself up to being ready for them??

Also, can anyone recommend any that are good for starting off with??

Thanks.

bauldbairn

Have I missed the pics of your new F22(:laugh:) MDB??? :sad: - :smile: - :smile:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
bauldbairn said:
Well your post count(on left) says different? :laugh: - :smile:

Ah bbut since I have got it, my posts per day have dropped drastically!! (Except for this morning)

Just curious to see what it looks like, that's all! :smile:

I'll show you mine if you show me .....oh never mind! :sad:

It was the one on Ebay I brought up in another thread a few weeks bacck, so I'll get the thrread and you'll see it's picture!! :smile:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This:

https://www.cyclechat.net/ :smile::blush:

Yes, it was me, and I'm very happy thankyou very much!

Even now I think to myself

'S**t!! what have I done?!'

when I see it in all it's skinny, lightweight, Superman handlebarred, black and yellow glory.

Too bad about the dork riding it! :smile::blush:

No wonder the French tourists were surprised I didn't have clipless pedals yet.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
You'll catch me shooting along the roads and tracks up the side of Loch Lomond (the cycle path between Luss and Tarbert looks like it was the old road and the surface is pretty decent, unlike the rest of the cycle path up there, forcing me onto the road) on it early in the morning (so hardly anyone sees me until I get good enough for it and also, so I don't get mowed down by the traffic). :smile:
Loch Lomond at 5 in the morning is great!

That said, I might go out later on today once I've actually had some sleep!

Now to get a more 'normal' looking bike to train on.....

gavintc

Guru
I have to agree with the French tourists. A bike like that without clipless pedals is like playing tennis with the latest carbon racquet and then wearing walking shoes. You are losing so much top end speed with flat pedals.

Sun Superlight

I use Shimano SPDs.
I remember them feeling very unsafe at first, and like every one else I went through the stage of forgetting to unclip and falling over, (it's the part of the learning curve that your riding mates never let you forget)
After a short while I took them for granted until last Sunday when our new pup chewed up one of my cycling shoes leaving me with no option but to go out riding in ordinary shoes.
Guess what? It felt really unsafe, uncomfortable and inefficient.

longers

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
I have to agree with the French tourists. A bike like that without clipless pedals is like playing tennis with the latest carbon racquet and then wearing walking shoes. You are losing so much top end speed with flat pedals.

I borrowed a friends quick bike to do a sprint triathlon on a few years ago and wasn't up to speed with clip in pedals so did it with V8s on (not in purple though).

That drew some funny looks.

Can't recommend which pedal system Doug, but do recommend that you go for one of them.

Benthedoon

You have to put clipless on that beautiful bike.
I went clipless at the weekend and I wish I hadn't waited so long, I can't believe the difference in power delivery, I did take the 'practice in your front room' advice so I had an idea of clipping in/out and so far (50 miles done) I'm incident free and as for it unsafe I experienced the opposite, clipless just feels right.
I opted for quite a cheap setup in case I didn't get on with them, SPD SLs: PD-R540 pedals and Shimano R076 shoes £70 all in, I have to confess I didnt really shop around so you can find bits cheaper I'm sure.

bauldbairn

Aye! Nice bike MDB. Looks well spec'd/designed + you didn't pay too much for it. :thumbsup: If it's only done 150 miles - it's just run in. :smile:

Good luck wi the training then ya mad raj! The banks o' Loch Lomond @ 5 in the morning - r ye mental!!! :wacko: - :laugh: - :sad:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
accountantpete said:
If you bought the Felt, Mad Doug, then you will look pretty stupid with spd's on.

Best way to go IMHO is Shimano spd R540's

http://www.parker-international.co....oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid2477

These are heavy monsters but cheap and a good intro into this area.

I know you can usually only manage a couple of miles at a time and can guarantee that these will help you break the 5 mile barrier.

Thanks for all the info guys!

As for the 5 mile barrier??
whitt??
I've possitively eaten up the miles so far!!

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I've always used toe clips and straps, great for getting your foot in and out quick and highly effective when adjusted correctly.

Sorry but I have no time for clipless, cleats or SPD... each to their own!

Top Bottom