real wheel truing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
The local roads are worse than ever since our too long too cold winter and it seems like all my wheels have a wobble. I don't have a reasonable LBS so I was thinking of doing it myself so what is the minimum I need to do a reasonable job: do I need the tension meter and the dish tool? My eyes are not great so this will be a disadvantage I know but it is doable - right?

If it's only a wobble, say up to 10mm deflection as you spin the wheel, all you need is a spoke key (and they come in various sizes). You can leave the wheel in place and use the brake pads as a guide to the deflection and how tightening spokes is affecting the deflection. You don't even have to take the tyre off.

Essentially, tighten spokes that will pull the wobble back into line. Take it a bit (say a quarter turn) at a time and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve. You only need a tension meter and a dish tool to build wheels from scratch. If the nipples are seized then you'll have a few challenges, but simple tensioning should get you home.

I had the same problem, thought that sorting a wobble should not be that difficult, and it isn't. I went on to build a wheel and that's done >1000 miles now with no problems at all. Very satisfying!

Have a look on YouTube and see Mickle's Tip of the Day at the top of this Forum.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
My advice FWIW is to always turn the spoke nipple 1\4 turn anti clockwise to loosen it before tightening. I believe this makes it less likely to twist the spoke and snap it if it is seized. Someone will probably point out that my advice is cobblers - but I have been doing it this way for many many years and it seems to help.

migrantwing

Veteran
...and don't forget. Looking at the wheel, with the tyre off and at the outside rim where the tube goes, turn clockwise to tighten and anti clockwise to loosen. Looking at the wheel from the inside and down at the spoke nipple, the clockwise and anti clockwise view reverses. It all depends on the way you are looking at the wheel.

Pics below:

From the view in the first pic, clockwise to tighten.

image.jpg

From the view in the second pic, anti clockwise to tighten.

imae.jpg

Last edited:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
And if the nipples are seized how do you solve that problem ?
If they are seized it is worth trying Plusgas or a similar penetrating oil. Squirt onto the spoke with the nipple in the lowest position and let it flow downwards. It is also worth trying spraying inside the rim where the spoke comes through the nipple, then leave alone for a day or two in the hopes it will work. If it doesn't, you could try localised heat - or just go and buy some replacement spokes. I would also strongly recommend a good specific size spoke key rather than a cheap multi size one as they often just round the nipple heads off.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If they are seized it is worth trying Plusgas or a similar penetrating oil. Squirt onto the spoke with the nipple in the lowest position and let it flow downwards.

I usually spin the wheel after applying penetrating oil. Seems to help, though it could be wishful thinking. :smile:

U

User6179

My advice FWIW is to always turn the spoke nipple 1\4 turn anti clockwise to loosen it before tightening.

I was told to that as well by someone and also when tightening take it a 1/4 turn further than you need and go a 1/4 turn back to stop the spokes twisting , seems to work :okay:

Top Bottom