Real world average

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

hungrydave

Regular
Interesting interesting interesting - it varies so much. But I'm still toward the slower end - must try harder!

To the last poster, how do you know your average speed per mile? I enjoy over analysing things, so that appeals massively!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Cyclemeter app for a smartphone records your split/mile/lap times.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
My real world average is about 11mph. I take about 5 mins off depending what I entail on my journey and it bumps it up to about 13. I dont care much for the speed, just the distance travelled.

Reactions: gaz

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I do warmley-bath-bristol with an average of 14 mph over 22 miles (commute)
This morning i went through hanham, willsbridge and keynsham then own the bath road, averaged 14.6 mph over 10.3 mph (along with overtaking cars along the bath road towards eagle road one way system!) this was on my Ridgeback velocity (hybrid thingy) cant wait to see my times when i get the road bike this week!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh hang on, hungrydave, your average is a real average of door to door. I think the rest of us are telling you rolling average, where the computer stops counting time waiting at a traffic light, for example. Traffic lights still drop your average a little because of the slowing down and speeding up afterwards.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
12-mile commute one way. It's hilly and I'm overweight.

My average 12-13mph. 14 mph if I really hammer it.

OP
OP
H

hungrydave

Regular
I do warmley-bath-bristol with an average of 14 mph over 22 miles (commute)
This morning i went through hanham, willsbridge and keynsham then own the bath road, averaged 14.6 mph over 10.3 mph (along with overtaking cars along the bath road towards eagle road one way system!) this was on my Ridgeback velocity (hybrid thingy) cant wait to see my times when i get the road bike this week!

You probably overtook me - I was the one struggling profusely!

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Typically 15mph to work (12.5 miles) and 13mph home (more uphill). A fair bit of waiting at traffic lights included in there.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Oh hang on, hungrydave, your average is a real average of door to door. I think the rest of us are telling you rolling average, where the computer stops counting time waiting at a traffic light, for example. Traffic lights still drop your average a little because of the slowing down and speeding up afterwards.
I'll bump mine up to 15mph then :smile:

OP
OP
H

hungrydave

Regular

Well, when I said real world average, I guess I didn't mean it... I was going by my computer which also stops at lights - but I rarely stop completely at lights, rather slow to a crawl ahead of the lights until they change - so the computer rarely stops completely.

I fought the lazy urge to get the train home after work so gave the commute another go. Same route exactly and the bath end is higher than the Bristol end, so I guess uphill overall on the way back... 14.4mph in the way back. That's a bit more like it

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I average 88mph

Beat that!!

My computer used to average me at 14.7 MPH...until I visited the LBS and the shop scanner kindly adjusted it to read 88mph for me...grrrr

I generally cruise at 20mph (its a sweet spot for me), on the flat but with stops and hills it will always average around 15mph.

So I suspect 12-13 is pretty good especially so soon after Xmas!

Top Bottom