Real world average

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

my average is that I leave home about 7.20am and rock up about 7.50am....nothing much has changed over the years , ive taken the speedo off the bike as it means jack sh_t

OP
OP
H

hungrydave

Regular
I average 88mph

Beat that!!

!

Does your flux capacitor kick in, leaving a trail of fire behind you?

D

Deleted member 1258

Door to Door on a fixed with a 65 inch gear is 6.5 miles in 25-30 minutes with an average between 13 and 15.5 mph, its a little lumpy and the time varies according to weather and how I feel.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't regularly commute by bike when I worked in Burnley, but I did do it quite a few times on sunny summer days and I always used to have a go and see what time I could do.

It isn't flat - there is a long drag up and down the A646 between Todmorden and the outskirts of Burnley, then a shorter steeper climb and descent to the industrial estate. About 1,300 ft of climbing on the way out and 1,100 ft coming back. It is 14.7 miles each way.

There were 3 sets of traffic lights, 2 or 3 pedestrian controlled lights and 1 roundabout on the way. Typically I'd lose about 3 minutes each way on them but that is included in my times below.

My best time going out was 49 minutes (approx. 18 mph) and 44 minutes coming back (approx. 20 mph).

My 7 mile commute on road bike has 4 sets traffic lights, 4 roundabouts and 2 miles unlit. Comp says usually around 19.5mph average morning and return 17mph tho is more uphill. I wear steelys and a rucksack. Sounds great but i'm blowin oot me arse at end of ride! Thought ave speed was more a training thing.....down the pub!:cheers:

My commute is a whole 1.4 miles!!
Most of that is on road, with a couple of footpaths between housing estates. Still have to slow down because 700cc x 23 wheels don't like
some of the 1" drops from pavement to road, plus there's a set of traffic lights to negotiate.
Best time for this 1.4 miles on the road bike = 7 mins 10 seconds.

On the mountain bike its waay different, lets just say i don't slow for anything (hence the psycho in my name), and the set of traffic lights
become my "display area" showing all those motorwrists how to hang arse over the rear tyre when crashing up kerbs.
1.4 miles on the mountain bike in 4 mins 52 seconds. :crazy:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Oh hang on, hungrydave, your average is a real average of door to door. I think the rest of us are telling you rolling average, where the computer stops counting time waiting at a traffic light, for example. Traffic lights still drop your average a little because of the slowing down and speeding up afterwards.

Nope - mine's the real average. The computer doesn't do the rolling average ... or if it does I haven't worked it out yet.

Anyway, I prefer the real world to the one where I'm quicker because of the 'false stops' I do!

SWMBO did her 23 hilly mile commute home tonight on a bike that weighs, with pannier more than half her body weight at a real average of 15.7mph, that ought to be a terrible power to weight ratio.

Unless its a journey I've done regularly, I like to plan on 10-11mph, a because its pretty easy to calculate in my head and b) if it all goes t1ts up I'll still be there on time and I hate being late. On regular ride I don't really worry a bout mph as I know roughly it'll take me x mins to get to y.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
SWMBO did her 23 hilly mile commute home tonight on a bike that weighs, with pannier more than half her body weight at a real average of 15.7mph, that ought to be a terrible power to weight ratio.
That's pretty damn good! (My commute speeds mentioned above were done when I was a sensible weight and my change of clothes had been left at work the day before so I was riding light.)

My problem at the moment is that my (extra) body weight weighs about 30% more than my (proper) body weight and I have a really terrible PWR, especially because I also don't have much power!

Oh well, at least it gives me a good challenge to get my teeth into!

simon.r

Person
Can I be Mr Sensible for a moment please?^_^

I've been commuting 4 months, average (as shown on computer, so not including stops at traffic lights etc) started at 12mph and I worked up to 15mph after 2 months.

Then I got knocked off. It wasn't my fault, the car ran into me from the side, but having sat and analysed the incident I have to be honest with myself and admit that had I been concentrating more on looking around me and less on getting my average speed up I may have been able to avoid it.

My average is now at about 13mph - I'm still working on increasing that, but only by increasing my speed on the bits of my route where there's very few potential conflict points. I'm riding slower on the sections that I consider to be riskier.

Depends on your route of course, but I've come to the conclusion that my 13 mile commute from one side of Nottingham to the other isn't the place to try and set personal bests - I'll leave that for the weekend leisure rides on relatively safe roads.

Sorry if that's a bit boring, but my next bike ride, later this morning, will be to see an orthopaedic surgeon to see what (if any) the long-term effects of being knocked off will be:rolleyes:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Oh hang on, hungrydave, your average is a real average of door to door. I think the rest of us are telling you rolling average, where the computer stops counting time waiting at a traffic light, for example. Traffic lights still drop your average a little because of the slowing down and speeding up afterwards.

Mines a real average as well...my cheapo comp doesn't do rolling.

BUT...a good point has already been made that chasing your average speed is pointless pursuit uunless you are training and use it to measure your accomplishment.

Because my computers average has been buggered up... I have stopped looking and I do seem to enjoy the ride a little more.

My total mileage is a bigger motivator for me

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Averages have so many variables such as terrain, road surface,type of bike, how many lights,traffic, load carried,how hard you push yourself,weather, how tired you feel etc etc that it is hard to compare like for like .
My commute is 10 miles in and 10.25 back and my average speed is normally 17 mph ,the fastest i have done it in averaged 19 mph but i was running late so i gave it the beans .
This is on mainly country lanes with some nice hills that brings my speed down sub 10 mph but no lights .

Top Bottom