Realistic commuting distances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another tip – for building up to 14 miles each way; can any of the journey be done by public transport? If so you could cycle to the closest station on week one, then to a station further up the track for week two etc etc – build up slow, perhaps not every day, you’ll be amazed how quickly the stamina and fitness builds up.
I used to do 10 miles each way (much less than that now unfortunately), and, I’m sure along with most other cyclists on this forum, thought nothing of jumping on the bike for 10 miles, didn’t even notice it, until non cyclists friends/colleagues would almost faint at the thought of such a daily feat – “You cycled all the way from….. That must be 10 miles???”

Bigtwin

Until recently, I was doing a commute of just about 25m each way.

I'd say that was plenty long enough. Fine on a nice summer's morn/evening, but not such a hoot on a pissing windy night in Jan/Feb, day in day out.

Previously I had a 12m each way with a fair bit of stop-start. That was about perfect - you could sprint/crit it, take it easy if you were tired, or take a longer loop if you felt the urge.

OP
OP
jnb

jnb

Veteran
TwickenhamCyclist said:
Another tip – for building up to 14 miles each way; can any of the journey be done by public transport?

'fraid not. I go side to side across Sussex. Now if it was up and down (ie along the london bound routes) public transport would be a possibility, but then again traffic would probably be worse.

TwickenhamCyclist said:
I used to do 10 miles each way (much less than that now unfortunately), and, I’m sure along with most other cyclists on this forum, thought nothing of jumping on the bike for 10 miles, didn’t even notice it, until non cyclists friends/colleagues would almost faint at the thought of such a daily feat – “You cycled all the way from….. That must be 10 miles???”

Encountered the same thing when it comes to walking and hiking, people seem to react with disbelief if you suggest going for a twenty mile walk.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
jnb said:
On second thoughts I might not bother. I've just been reading a few of the threads on this site and it seems that every second post is about inconsiderate or even deliberately violent and threatening behaviour from other road users.

Don't let it put you off. You have a great mindset to do this.

I get far more abuse in a car and as a ped than I do as a cyclist, it's just this is a cycling forum. The difference is the bike is on the road and it only takes one deliberate act/mistake and I'm dead. In a car the same things happen but with radically different outcomes.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
jnb said:
On second thoughts I might not bother. I've just been reading a few of the threads on this site and it seems that every second post is about inconsiderate or even deliberately violent and threatening behaviour from other road users.

Commuting forums aren't the place to go for a rosy picture of cyclist/driver relations!

Basically ride predictably, but expect everyone else to be an idiot and you can't go far wrong - I've had some nasties on my commute, but the positives far outweigh the negatives (imho). Bear in mind also that you'll see the same folk (mostly) each day - they helps, ime, as they become "trained".

John the Monkey said:
Commuting forums aren't the place to go for a rosy picture of cyclist/driver relations!

Basically ride predictably, but expect everyone else to be an idiot and you can't go far wrong - I've had some nasties on my commute, but the positives far outweigh the negatives (imho). Bear in mind also that you'll see the same folk (mostly) each day - they helps, ime, as they become "trained".
I'll echo all that. I don't get too many "incidents" (touches wood hurriedly) but then I have a nice quiet commute on quiet roads / off road. I think many of the hassles you'll read on here tend to originate in large towns and cities .. try to experiment with your route and avoid A roads / trunk roads if possible: it'll be far more pleasant on quieter roads.

Bigtwin

Lazy-Commuter said:
I'll echo all that. I don't get too many "incidents" (touches wood hurriedly) but then I have a nice quiet commute on quiet roads / off road. I think many of the hassles you'll read on here tend to originate in large towns and cities .. try to experiment with your route and avoid A roads / trunk roads if possible: it'll be far more pleasant on quieter roads.

Half agree. My commute had a lot of minor country roads in - by far the most dangerous bit. School run 4x4s taking up the whole road at stupid speeds, the boy-racer ragging it on the way to/home from work in a Saxo VTR etc, had to fling me and the bike in a hedge to avoid tractor with huge power harrow scraping both banks; all were IMO at least as bad as the odd slow speed idiot happening around town.

Morale; There's always idiots, and sooner or later you and them will meet.

Bigtwin said:
Half agree. My commute had a lot of minor country roads in - by far the most dangerous bit. School run 4x4s taking up the whole road at stupid speeds, the boy-racer ragging it on the way to/home from work in a Saxo VTR etc, had to fling me and the bike in a hedge to avoid tractor with huge power harrow scraping both banks; all were IMO at least as bad as the odd slow speed idiot happening around town.

Morale; There's always idiots, and sooner or later you and them will meet.
Right enough. Depends on the roads I guess: one of my favourite road bits on my commute is a no-through road of approx a mile which leads to a bridleway in the woods. There's maybe 12-15 houses up there so little traffic and nearly all of it is going to / from the houses and will generally expect / recognise me and so be sensible.

But, it's a single track road and you get the odd person who's lost ... then it can go wrong. I suppose the point is to try to find a route that works for you and not to be complacent.

I'm going to try to reassure jnb a bit more now and say I much prefer the bike commute to the car .. I find it a lot less stressful. To the point that Mrs-LC commented on me being tetchy the other week and blamed it on me being forced into the car for a few days. ;)

wafflycat

jnb said:

I'll just echo what others have said about here - remember this is a cycling forum where folk feel that if they have a brown Lycra moment due to some dozy twerp in a metal cage not paying attention, here is a place where a sympathetic and friendly ear is obtained. The vast majority of motorists are not out to kill or maim cyclists, intentionally or otherwise and the vast majority of the time cycling is utter pleasure.

If I may...

If you have been off a bike for some considerable time, think about getting some cycle training from an instructor qualified to the national standards for cycle training. Plus get a hold of, read and absorb 'Cyclecraft' as it will help give you the basics of assertive (not aggressive) and safe cycling in traffic - it is the book that goes hand-in-hand with cycle training these days.

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

Find a cycle training instructor

Hope the above helps

OP
OP
jnb

jnb

Veteran
wafflycat said:
... Plus get a hold of, read and absorb 'Cyclecraft' as it will help give you the basics of assertive (not aggressive) and safe cycling in traffic - it is the book that goes hand-in-hand with cycle training these days. ...

Hmmm, any changes in the recent editions? I can get a 1988 edition for one penny and postage or a 2007 edition for a tenner.

wafflycat

As the blurb says about the new one..

"The latest edition of Cyclecraft has been extensively revised and extended."

"Reflects experience gained through implementation of Bikeability, the National Cycle Training Standard"

So personally speaking, I'd go for the new one.

Arch

Married to Night Train
+1 for Cyclecraft, and remember, no one bothers to report non-events. You don't get newspapers headlining with "No one died in Iraq today" or "the weather's been average recently".

I very rarely have any stories worth telling - most of what I see is people being stupid/careless, but not directly affecting me.

Twanger

Über Member
Arch said:
+1 for Cyclecraft, and remember, no one bothers to report non-events. You don't get newspapers headlining with "No one died in Iraq today" or "the weather's been average recently".

I very rarely have any stories worth telling - most of what I see is people being stupid/careless, but not directly affecting me.

Me neither. I get annoyed at cyclists jumping red lights. I get more annoyed at cyclists than I do motorists because I think that cyclists are US and should know better, while motorists are THEM and can not really be expected to know how to wipe their own bottoms.

Actually, that's rubbish. I normally have a fine commute. The last two months (nearly three now) have made me fitter, happier and poorer (I bought gear!). My commuting time has fallen from 70 minutes to 40 (or from a average speed of 9 mph to 15). No one has ever shouted at me from a car. I have been cut up once or twice by buses and once by a taxi, but not in a dangerous way. 99.9% of road users are decent people.

I have to forcibly remind myself not to break the law. OK, I DO break the law a little, but not when there's anyone around. There's a one way street at the top of Belvedere road in crystal palace I always go the wrong way down for a couple of hundred yards. But the alternative is a lengthy and tiring detour and there is never ever another vehicle on the road.

Yesterday, though, the devil spoke and while filtering down the outside of stationary traffic in Horseferry road I...well, I went round the right of an island.

Today, I met one of the women from work cycling in from Charing Cross on a little pink Dahon single speed, the sort with wheels nicked off a Sainsbury's trolley, that she got off ebay. We "two abreasted" it from Berkeley square up to Manchester street, and that was a pleasant chat.

I get pains in my legs from the new muscle. I do stretching exercises, which work. I pick bits of glass out of my tyres in an attempt to avoid punctures. I adjust my gears. I clean the bike. All true and a pleasure, but not great reading on a commuting forum.

Top Bottom