Really lost my nerve today........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Panter said:
Hmm, I don't recall confessing to being a twat of a car driver ? :rolleyes:

Don't worry, Yenrod's often on another planet, as far as I can tell.

Carwash

Señor Member
Keith Oates said:
Can't say I agree with that:wacko:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just struck me as a bit odd that the thrust of the post seemed to be 'It was terrible, I even had to slow down!!' If it's windy, and you feel like you're not safe going that fast in the wind, then surely slowing down is the logical course of action. Big deal.

Or have I misunderstood?

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Sorry, I think my post was badly explained TBH ;)

On this downhill stretch, its a dual carrigeway with a 70mph limit although obviously some vehicles are going a lot faster than that. It also has no flanking lane so going as fast as I possibly can will hopefully make it slightly safer.

I wasn't aware how windy it was because I was sheltered from it by the hill in question (the hill is actually the North Downs and quite a big hill by Kent standards) although in all honesty, I'd never experienced a fierce wind on a roadbike at speed so I was totally unaware of the effect it would have. I know it sounds stupid, but as a big bloke I'm not used to being thrown around by mere wind, it was a bit of a strange experience for me :biggrin:

The roundabout is at the end of this downhill and is a large one with traffic doing around 40-50mph so its quite intimidating. I normally tackle it like some surt of lycra warrior and ride it quite aggresively as I feel its the best way but that morning I just felt unsafe. I guess it was caused by the feeling of instability from the wind and I just felt very uneasy.

All part of the learning curve I guess.............

Tynan

Veteran
I go as fast as i can when it's windy, some theory about gyroscopic effect and momentum making me less vulnerable to being pushed about

If it really is unsafe then it's time to get off and push

Top Bottom