Really Really Pi$$ed!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

p90ade

Mark_Robson said:
That's a strange one. I have a carbon bike and lots of carbon fishing rods and I haven't seen anything that looks like that. I'm no expert but I would imagine that the finish on bikes is designed to withstand flexing,as it does on rods. So if I had to guess I would say that it looks like a scratch. I would still get it checked out though as it is an area of high stress.

It's definatly not a scratch, nothing can scratch it there and the frame hasnever been lent up againt anything or been dropped or even lay on the floor. It's the dearest bike iv ever brought and I have treated it like my baby.

wafflycat

p90ade said:
What should I expect the lbs to do? It's only just over 2 weeks old so should I expect a replacement or a refund if they haven't got a replacement? Or are they going to try fob me off and say it needs going back to bianchi?

I'd be wanting either money back or a replacement. If they get iffy about sending it to Bianchi - your contract of buying the bike isn't with Bianchi, it's with the shop you bought the bike from, and under Sale of Goods Act s1. it doesn't look 'fit for purpose' if that is a crack in the carbon. There's always your local Citizens' Advice Bureau if you require help.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
wafflycat said:
I'd be wanting either money back or a replacement. If they get iffy about sending it to Bianchi - your contract of buying the bike isn't with Bianchi, it's with the shop you bought the bike from, and under Sale of Goods Act s1. it doesn't look 'fit for purpose' if that is a crack in the carbon. There's always your local Citizens' Advice Bureau if you require help.

or the local trading standards office.

gavintc

Guru
Bianchi were excellent with me when I cracked my carbon frame. Admittedly, it took a couple of months for the frame to travel to Italy and back, but I did receive an upgrade. The LBS were very supportive. Thankfully, the crack appeared at the end of the season and I was laying up the bike for the winter. The loss was not a problem for me. I would ask the LBS for the loan of a bike for the period.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
p90ade said:
What should I expect the lbs to do? It's only just over 2 weeks old so should I expect a replacement or a refund if they haven't got a replacement? Or are they going to try fob me off and say it needs going back to bianchi?

If it is a crack then you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act 1979, which states the goods must be of merchantable quality, and you would be entitled to a full refund. If they try to object, take it to Trading Standards.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Don't let them fob you off with a cursory look and saying "it's just a crack in the paint".

It will detract from any re-sale value so get them to replace it.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
IMHO a scratch would not be jagged. It looks like a crack. If I was told it is just a surface crack then my question will be how do I know it is not the same or worse underneath...

OP
OP
P

p90ade

said he had never seen anything like that in the place it was, got straight on the phone to bianchi who also said they hadnt heard of it before, the gaffer at bianchi sent a courier to collect it today because he wants to see it and then got to go from there, lbs thinks they will just exchange the frame which will be ok by me. hopefully find out tomorrow/friday.

OP
OP
P

p90ade

finaly heard back from bianchi. paint it cracked not the carbon. but new frame is on the way from italy.

redjedi

Über Member
Good to hear that Bianchi are on the ball. I've read a few horror stories coming on american sites.

Glad you're getting a new frame, hopefully it was just a one off manufacturing defect.

Oh and nice bike :smile:

Top Bottom