Rear Brake Only?

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Steve-W, 12 Aug 2012.

1. Steve-W

Steve-W Well-Known Member

Hi, I have a Cannondale M1000 which I'm converting to singlespeed, I am considering having a rigid carbon fork and having just a single rear brake ...does anyone just run a rear brake? Or have you done so and found it too dangerous. The bike will be used only on urban routes and not at high speed.
    Cheers
    Steve

2. lordloveaduck

lordloveaduck Well-Known Member

Bikes legally have to have two brakes, just saying because incase of an accident the courts may bring that point up.

Psyclist likes this.
  3. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

If you are only going to have one brake then it should be the front one as that is the one that is the most effective in slowing or stopping you. If by single speed you mean fixed gear then your legs will brake the rear wheel via the pedals. If the single speed is a free wheel then two brakes are needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clarion and Psyclist like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Steve-W

Steve-W Well-Known Member

Yep..well thanks guys, I think two brakes is a must...it was just a passing thought...pity that thought didnt pass a bit quicker LOL :smile:

Cheers
    Steve

5. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

my first fixie build uses just a fr brake as rear bridge is not drill for rr brake mounting , i would certainly recomend using at least a fr brake . i had to change fr steel rimmed wheel for an alloy rimmed one to get enough braking force using just one brake .

my 2nd fixie build will have 2 brakes as this time donor frame has mounts fr and rr

6. Old Plodder

Old Plodder Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb

With regards to brakes, it is necessary to have a front brake fitted to a fixed wheel bike, or you could end up in court.

7. Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic Guest

Not just court...

You could end up in any building you're riding towards when you find yourself unable to stop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice