Rear Brake Only?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve-W

Hi, I have a Cannondale M1000 which I'm converting to singlespeed, I am considering having a rigid carbon fork and having just a single rear brake ...does anyone just run a rear brake? Or have you done so and found it too dangerous. The bike will be used only on urban routes and not at high speed.
Cheers
Steve

lordloveaduck

Bikes legally have to have two brakes, just saying because incase of an accident the courts may bring that point up.

Keith Oates

Janner
If you are only going to have one brake then it should be the front one as that is the one that is the most effective in slowing or stopping you. If by single speed you mean fixed gear then your legs will brake the rear wheel via the pedals. If the single speed is a free wheel then two brakes are needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Steve-W

Steve-W

Yep..well thanks guys, I think two brakes is a must...it was just a passing thought...pity that thought didnt pass a bit quicker LOL :smile:

Cheers
Steve

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my first fixie build uses just a fr brake as rear bridge is not drill for rr brake mounting , i would certainly recomend using at least a fr brake . i had to change fr steel rimmed wheel for an alloy rimmed one to get enough braking force using just one brake .

my 2nd fixie build will have 2 brakes as this time donor frame has mounts fr and rr

Top Bottom