Rear brake sticking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldstrath

Über Member
Check that the blocks aren't very worn, check that the calliper arms are clean, if it still sticks try replacing the cable.

Slioch

Guru
Try squirting liberal amounts of WD40 into the cable housings, into the pivots on the brakes, and into the lever housings. Also check the blocks aren't so worn that they have a "ridge" which gets caught on the edge of the rim. If they do and there is plenty of life left in the blocks, then they can be trimmed (carefully) with a stanley knife so that they present a flat surface again.

Broadside

Guru
Good advice above. If all of that doesn't work and they are road bike dual pivot calipers then remove them from the bike and completely disassemble and give a thorough clean and regrease the pivots. I had this problem last year and had to completely take the calipers to bits, separating the arms etc. very satisfying to get them working like new again

Cold

I had the exact same problem with my Tiagra back brake and it was caused by a little plastic sleeve on the back of the brake which would jam.
I couldn't get a replacement online and spoke to my local shop and in the end I had to buy a new brake.
A part like the one in the picture below was the problem

1297768027942-mkere3ml6m8f-960-540.jpg

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Calipers work with

1) a spring and

2)Several pivot points which either greased shiny washers (cheap brakes) or very small bearings to help keep the movement free,

The spring doesn't usually cause problems. The shiny washers though do readily rust and lose their grease and the bearings can get clogged with muck.

Apart from these, sometimes the locknut (under the serrated washer in pic above top left) moves when tightening up the brake to the frame and just needs re-seating.

Taking apart is not easy first time but relatively easy after that - just watch out for grub screws.

S.Giles

Also check the blocks aren't so worn that they have a "ridge" which gets caught on the edge of the rim. If they do and there is plenty of life left in the blocks, then they can be trimmed (carefully) with a stanley knife so that they present a flat surface again.
I just had that problem with my V-brakes, and solved it by flattening them with sandpaper. It took me a quite while to realise what was happening, though.

Top Bottom