Rear cassette movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Has the wheel got a slight buckle?..Also have you got a close up pic of the brake track?The brake track looks quite worn but hard to tell from the vid?....I had a slight cassette wobble that I noticed one eve on the way home,put it down to a slight buckle,Next ride out the rim blew off

si_c

Guru
The bearings in that freehub sound pretty rough as though the grease has washed out, and the cassette wobble is definitely not right. Make sure that you have the correct spacer for the hub if it's needed (1.85mm if it's an 11sp freehub body and a 9/10sp cassette), and that the lockring is correctly tightened.

If that fails (and with that freewheel noise, possibly if it works), then it's worth removing the cassette and then cleaning and regreasing the freehub body. Failing that you may need a new one.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Could be right that it Sounds as if it's no grease in it . I maight have to educate myself on how to do it properly and buy some tools .

Slick

Guru
Could be right that it Sounds as if it's no grease in it . I maight have to educate myself on how to do it properly and buy some tools .
I did it recently using YouTube. Fairly straightforward if it's lose bearings but if it's a cassette bearing you obviously have to source the right one.

gbb

Legendary Member
If possible, check the back axle. Not the Quick Release but the axle itself, it may be bent or even broken.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Would that be classed as wear and tear on a bike that's not a year old yet .Would it be under warranty or is it just the frame that's under warranty?

Pit Stop Pat

PSP to the rescue :becool: I`ve seen that cassette wobble lots of times on lower end bikes when indexing them coming right out of the box. So...if a new bike sports this feature, it can`t be too bad eh. Simple solution, get something with a higher level of quality. You get what you pay for :tongue: Never experienced this on any of my bikes as far as i can recall.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Update ...
Was out on a ride today and called to the bike shop on the way home. Showed them the rear cassette wobble .guy took the bike out to the stand and came back a minute later . The rear hubs had it he says but good news we will fix it under warranty. Rather than open the hub and replace the bearings it would be easier for us to replace the whole wheel . Have you got 10min and ile do it now.
Yes please work away .I was well happy it was being fixed free cause I didn't think that the warranty coverd it after 9 months . Only problem is the new wheel is a mavic aksium and my front is giant sr2 wheel . So I'm gona have to buy a front wheel now to match .can't be having a bike with 2 odd wheels .

Top Bottom