Rear Cassette ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David5416

Über Member
I have recently bought a CUBE AGREE GTC PRO ( although its not even been out the house yet ) i have it hooked up to my turbo trainer and have been doing a few online training vids on Youtube. The problem was i did know what gear to be in as they were talking 15,16, 17 on the back etc, I am new to road bikes and have no idea what the rear gear ratio was until i counted them ALL today.
I counted from small cog to the large cog and got these numbers 12,13,14,15,17,19,21,24,27,31 it is a Shimano cassette but not sure which one, do these numbers sound right ?????

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I'd guess it is a 12-30t and you miss counted the last cog?

OP
OP
David5416

David5416

Über Member
Thanks Joey , just looked at the Tiagra and the Ultegra and it looks more like the Tiagra. And you are probably right i must have miss counted. Are these cassettes ok in your opinion ? i am going to buy a cheap rear wheel for my turbo so will be needing the cassette etc. Don't know if it will be worth upgrading the one on my better wheel at the same time.

Cant see any numbers on the cassette but then again i can't see much lately ha ha
They can be really difficult to see, so much so counting is normally the best option. Nothing wrong with Tiagra cassettes BTW:thumbsup:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Thanks Joey , just looked at the Tiagra and the Ultegra and it looks more like the Tiagra. And you are probably right i must have miss counted. Are these cassettes ok in your opinion ? i am going to buy a cheap rear wheel for my turbo so will be needing the cassette etc. Don't know if it will be worth upgrading the one on my better wheel at the same time.

Nothing wrong with those cassettes! I think I read the Ultegra cassette gives a smoother gear change, and obviously it is marginally lighter.

OP
OP
David5416

David5416

Über Member
Nice one DooDah, difficult to see but the way I've just counted difficult to count as well mate ha ha

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
If i went for the Ultegra Joey would it be compatible ? got an Ultegra rear mech already.

Yes, assuming you have a 10 speed cassette on there already (which you obviously do) and you replace that with a 10 speed Ultegra cassette. Wiggle have them on sale at the moment for about £33 I think...good price.

OP
OP
David5416

David5416

Über Member
As i ve now got a compact and know i will be blowing out of my A--- on the first hill should i go for the 12 -30 ??

Top Bottom