Rear cassette recommendation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Surlydave

Über Member
Hi, I wish to replace the 10 speed 11-25 cassette on my road bike with one that goes up to 32 so I can do some seriously good climbing. As far as I see Shimamo only make the 105 in ratios up to 28. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I already have the longer rear mech, which I will need.
Cheers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Check out Sram and Miche, both are compatible with Shimano.

alicat

Legendary Member
And I expect you have a new/longer chain, as well.

I am pretty sure that Campagnolo 10 speed is not compatible with anything else. You wouldn't get one on the splines anyway, as Campagnolo splines (on the freehub) are very different. Campagnolo 10 speed only goes up to 29 max anyway - if there was anything bigger, I would be using it!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am pretty sure that Campagnolo 10 speed is not compatible with anything else. You wouldn't get one on the splines anyway, as Campagnolo splines (on the freehub) are very different. Campagnolo 10 speed only goes up to 29 max anyway - if there was anything bigger, I would be using it!
There IS and I am using one! :okay:

Admittedly it is a small change, but every little counts. I switched from a 10 speed 13-29 used with a 53 tooth big ring to a 12-30 used with a 48. It meant that my higher gears were 2% lower but my bottom gear was also about 3.5% lower, and that suited my riding style and the terrain I ride in. The cassettes are quite expensive but I got hold of about 10 years worth at a good price. I suppose by then I will be thinking of a new bike anyway - probably something odd like a 1x13!

Before you ask - sorry, I don't want to sell any of them. They are becoming increasingly hard to get hold of so I stocked up while I could.

Replace it with a Tiagra 32t cassette.
Tiagra is Shimano and will not fit in a Campagnolo freehub. I doubt if the index spacing is the same, to boot. (Just realised that the OP was talking about Shimano, so you were probably answering the original point - please ignore!)

Regarding @ColinJ 's point about the 30 tooth Centaur - I didn't know about that. My 10 speed bike is my winter hack anyway, so the single extra tooth wouldn't be much of an advantage as I don't tend to go very far away in winter, and the roads are largely undulating rather than hilly round my way. I have just invested in a bike with the new Potenza groupset, which does go to 32. When it/if stops raining, I will try it out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom