Rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Okay, I have replaced the chain on the MTB but now it's skipping all over the place!
I've been told I should have replaced the rear cassette as well. What should I replace it with?

The bike has a 'Sunrace 9 speed 11-34' on it.
I want something a bit better. Suggestions please?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You should be able to replace it with any Shimano compatible cassette. Shimano (obviously) or SRAM would be my choice and both companies do 11-34 9 speeds in various grades of quality depending on how much you want to spend.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Okay, I have replaced the chain on the MTB but now it's skipping all over the place!
I've been told I should have replaced the rear cassette as well. What should I replace it with?

Not cheap and I'm not sure whether the quality is any better than Sunrace or not? Maybe someone else can advise on that.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=COjE1LTN8cUCFQHJtAod0XoAUA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brandane

Legendary Member

Take yer pick! My personal preference is SRAM or Shimano. You might want to match brand with your new chain, but it's not essential. Worn cassettes with new chains doesn't work, as you found out. Neither do new cassettes with worn chains. How are your chain-rings? (They last a lot longer than chains/cassettes).

Edit .... I would go with @sittingbull 's SRAM PG950 at that discounted price.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a Shimano SLX on one of my bikes - the £20 one in Brandane's link.

Hard to see how it's worth spending any more, but if you fancy something dearer either the £30 Shimano XT or the £30 SRAM will almost certainly be quality pieces of kit.

Fubar

Guru
I was just looking at that one...seems a good price.
Of course to fit myself I'm going to need the tools...does it ever end :laugh:

Might need to replace your front chainrings too... :whistle:

sittingbull

Veteran
I'd be surprised if your chainrings needed replacement yet (unless it's an old bike with previous wear).

I've got over 15000 miles on mine on a road bike. If you're constantly riding on gritty/gravelly trails then they may show signs of wear.

EDIT: cross-chaining (big/big or small/small wears them prematurely).

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
20150602_195005.png

Rear

20150602_195037.png

Front

Top Bottom