Rear chain guard is it necessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
Just got a new set of wheels and took the cassette off the old wheel and refitted it to the new. After emptying the tub I used to degrease and clean the cassette and bits I noticed I had forgotten to install the plastic chain guard to the new wheel.

How many of you have these installed and will it cause any issues if I don't.

Really don't fancy removing the cassette again but if it's best to have it installed I will?

screenman

Legendary Member
See the other topic just posted.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would imagine but cannot remember that most of my bikes do not have them on, my gears are correctly adjusted and rear march alignment regularly checked.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Hmm I never had any issues with the chain slipping over the top of the cassette when fitted to the old wheel and only ever had it drop of the bottom once and a quick adjustment of the mech sorted that out.

But I now have that seed of doubt what to do

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Actually that's another question will I need to reindex the gears now I have fitted a new rim or should it just fit in place and off I go?

drummerbod

Your rear mech has to be really badly adjusted for the chain to slip past the largest cog and into the spokes.

However, if you bend the hanger due to an accident for instance and don't notice then the chain may go into the spokes.

Personally - I don't like them.

Top Bottom