Rear deraileur in wrong position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker2772

Hi, hope you are well.

I wanted to know why my rear derailleur is on the wrong position when it's on the highest and lowest gear for front and back. Is it worn out?

I know that my freewheel is damaged and needs replacing but it wasn't like this 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• 20210916_225455.jpg
    20210916_225455.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 41
Sounds like some basic recalibrating is needed. Google derailleur adjustment - many helpful vids to peruse :okay:

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

Everything time I shift the gears up, the rear derailleur moves forward instead of moving backwards

T4tomo

Guru
Everything time I shift the gears up, the rear derailleur moves forward instead of moving backwards
are you talking about movement towards the front and back of the bike (which he springs in the derailleur control to mantain chain tension)
or are you talking about moving in and out from the wheel, i.e being in the right position to select a gear?

I'm not sure we fully understand what the perceived problem is.

Jody

Stubborn git

Are you on about the cage moving forwards when going up the cassette?

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

are you talking about movement towards the front and back of the bike (which he springs in the derailleur control to mantain chain tension)
or are you talking about moving in and out from the wheel, i.e being in the right position to select a gear?

I'm not sure we fully understand what the perceived problem is.

1st one

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The tension arm of the derailleur looks to be in roughly the position it should be when the chain is on the largest sprocket and chainring. But your photo shows the chain on small sprocket, which suggests the chain is much too short. In that position I'd expect the tension arm to be much further back.

Ajax Bay

Guru
As Ian says: the chain is too short and this is causing significant problems when the OP is in the largest ring. There is a danger of catastrophic rear derailleur breakage (and more) with a chain this short.
The OP doesn't say how they know their freewheel is damaged but the straightforward solution is to replace the freewheel and chain at the same time. Until then I'd advise never using the largest ring.

Top Bottom