Rear Derailleaur Extender query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bobdaspider

bobdaspider

Regular
Hi all,

Thanks all for your feedback - especially AB. First, the cassette spec is 13 x 26 (not 25 as I'd originally stated), and attach pics re the chainring / cassette setup (small / small and large / large) and re the query about a 'B' screw - this was raised with the LBS but this rear derailleur model doesn't have one (typical). But it sounds promising that the consensus seems to be suggesting that the chain is currently too long and can afford to lose a link or two?

Attachments

• IMG_5468.jpeg
    IMG_5468.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5483.jpeg
    IMG_5483.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 8

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes - at least one (inch) link. See the Campagnolo diagram I shared earlier/upthread.
Your 53-39 and 13-26 set up is within the spec for this RD (I think 26t max).
But just shortening the chain may not sort your actual issue which is how high the guide pulley wheel is running.
I don't run Campagnolo but I have a spare part groupset (9sp and post 2001 like yours, bought in case my daughter's bike needed spare items (2014)) but irritatingly can't find the box to check its RD physically).
Searching offers this clue as to what might be an improvement:
"The pulley cage will need to be removed and then the pivot bolt that holds the inner plate to the derailleur will need to be removed. The spring inside (M) will have to be installed correctly and then the inner cage rotated to the proper position."
1715343138331.png

Obviously there is 'take it apart and can't get it back together again' risk.

Campagnolo recommends using a short cage derailleur with a maximum cassette cog size of 26 teeth even though it will [in practice] shift to a 29 tooth cog. 9 and 10 speed rear derailleurs use the same three cage lengths; 55, 72.5 and 89 mm (pulley wheels c-c) with a chain wrap (CW) capacity of 27, 36 and 39.
For a 39/53 and a 13/26 combo you need a minimum CW of 27. NB You say yours is medium (can verify by measurement).

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobdaspider

bobdaspider

Regular
Yes - at least one (inch) link. See the Campagnolo diagram I shared earlier/upthread.
Your 53-39 and 13-26 set up is within the spec for this RD (I think 26t max).
But just shortening the chain may not sort your actual issue which is how high the guide pulley wheel is running.
I don't run Campagnolo but I have a spare part groupset (9sp and post 2001 like yours, bought in case my daughter's bike needed spare items (2014)) but irritatingly can't find the box to check its RD physically).
Searching offers this clue as to what might be an improvement:
"The pulley cage will need to be removed and then the pivot bolt that holds the inner plate to the derailleur will need to be removed. The spring inside (M) will have to be installed correctly and then the inner cage rotated to the proper position."
View attachment 730222
Obviously there is 'take it apart and can't get it back together again' risk.

Campagnolo recommends using a short cage derailleur with a maximum cassette cog size of 26 teeth even though it will [in practice] shift to a 29 tooth cog. 9 and 10 speed rear derailleurs use the same three cage lengths; 55, 72.5 and 89 mm (pulley wheels c-c) with a . chain wrap value of 27, 36 and 39.
For a 39/53 and a 13/26 combo you need a minimum CW of 27.

Thanks AB, will speak with the LBS and gauge their feedback - the easiest option is to remove one chain link if chain wrap value of 27 can be achieved. Re the other option of taking the RD apart - sounds tricky. Maybe I'll start to look for a short cage RD as well - you never know, there might be one out there in good condition. The RD I have was bought new from the US so will contact the vendor and see what they say. But thanks again for your feedback and advice with this query - it's very much appreciated and means that I won't be looking any further at an RD extender!! 🙄

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thanks AB, will speak with the LBS and gauge their feedback - the easiest option is to remove one chain link if chain wrap value of 27 can be achieved. Re the other option of taking the RD apart - sounds tricky. Maybe I'll start to look for a short cage RD as well - you never know, there might be one out there in good condition. The RD I have was bought new from the US so will contact the vendor and see what they say. But thanks again for your feedback and advice with this query - it's very much appreciated and means that I won't be looking any further at an RD extender!! 🙄

Think your RD is Campagnolo Mirage (RD4-MI9S)
https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/campagnolo_-_2006_products_range_page_17.html

T4tomo

Legendary Member
its now quite obvious that the chain is too long, as was suggested as an issue well before a decent photo was upload.

take a pair of links out and see if it works before worrying about anything else.
and re the query about a 'B' screw - this was raised with the LBS but this rear derailleur model doesn't have one (typical).
I doubt this but cant be sure, I'm not sure you LBS are advising you well, otherwise they'd have whipped a link out or told you to do such.

I think Campag adjustment for distance from sprockets is as shown below, which is different to Shimano and SRAM "B screws"
1715339993018.png

might be worth reading this and relate guides, most stuff on a bike is easy to sort out if you take the time to read / watch guides and understand how stuff works.
https://www.parktool.com/en-int/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
The H screw (if it exists on this RD (some periods (of years) don't, research suggests) adjusts the balance between the upper and lower springs in the rear derailleur. Whereas the Shimano 'b' screw has a more agricultural function of moving the cage pivot axis.
1715342418800.png

Not Mirage

Top Bottom