Rear derailleur barrel adjuster insert thread stripped.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
To be honest, it gets worse...The damn thing sets itself! I just this afternoon swapped it from 2x8 to 2x9, different rear mech, different type of rear mech, even. And it worked after a couple of minutes' adjustment. The Scott, which went from 3x9 to 3x8, is a whole 'nuther thang, and that's only got the normal compliment of adjusters!
:biggrin:

Why did you swap from 2x8 to 2x9?
Also...
Why did you go from 3x9 to 3x8?

I take it 8 speed and 9 speed are interchangeable?

Oooh, long story, and all to do with trying to make the hills a bit easier. Unfortunately the Scott, a road bike with flat bars, objected mightily to me using mtb shifters on the front mech. So, after much faffing, went back to 8-speed, where proper road shifters are available in flat-bar form.
As some of those 8-speed bits were robbed from the mixte, it got the 9-speed bits!
Will see if it's all working today.

In other words, it confirms that rear mechs are largely interchangeable between species, certainly up to 9-speed, but front mechs are not. Made more awkward still by the Scott front mech being a braze-on, and on an odd-shaped oversize downtube.

OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
That's what confuses me - knowing which components are compatible with each other.

I've read about wolftooth. They make the roadlink which is a little extension you attach to your rear mech that lets you use a bigger cassette.

Never used one and don't know much about them but could be something to look into if yours doesn't play ball. You could then potentially leave the front mech as it is and make hills easier with a wider range cassette.

That's what confuses me - knowing which components are compatible with each other.

I've read about wolftooth. They make the roadlink which is a little extension you attach to your rear mech that lets you use a bigger cassette.

Never used one and don't know much about them but could be something to look into if yours doesn't play ball. You could then potentially leave the front mech as it is and make hills easier with a wider range cassette.
The Scott does use one (a cheap ZTTO one off ebay), due to having a GS or medium cage. But its the shifter/derailleur match that's critical. Up to 10-speed-ish, all Shimano rear mechs used the same pull, so road and mtb could be interchanged. Not so for front mechs, unfortunately.

Top Bottom