rear derailleur main pivot bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windassisted

I have a Shimano Golden Arrow rear mech in very good condition except that in the past some muppet has stripped the thread on the main pivot bolt to the hanger, Assuming the replacements for Dura Ace etc on eBay will fit is their anything difficult in removing the circlip to remove and replace this bolt ? Just worried if their is anything dodgy like a spring under tension that might fly out when clip is released as the bolt appears to be loaded in it's housing. !:eek:

Last edited:

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
See if there is a video on YouTube

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I have a Shimano Golden Arrow rear mech in very good condition except that in the past some muppet has stripped the thread on the main pivot bolt to the hanger, Assuming the replacements for Dura Ace etc on eBay will fit is their anything difficult in removing the circlip to remove and replace this bolt ? Just worried if their is anything dodgy like a spring under tension that might fly out when clip is released as the bolt appears to be loaded in it's housing. !:eek:
I've removed and replaced plenty of these circlips while stripping and cleaning.

Yes, the spring is under tension when the circlip is in place, so you need to be careful of parts flying into the grass if you do this outside.

To get it back together:
1. Make sure the B-Tension adjust screw is removed
2. Hold derailleur body in left hand (if you are right handed)
3. Apply the pre-tension to the spring using pliers on the tab the B-Tension screw passes through, and lodge it behind it's stop on the derailleur body
4. Hold it all together with your left hand while you place the circlip, and squeeze the circlip with a pair of pliers until it pops back into the groove in the bolt

IMG_6611.JPG

OP
OP
Windassisted

Windassisted

Well i have it disassembled and the new hanger swivel bolt is on order, no probs so far. Actually the upper knuckle spring and b screwplate remain retained within the housing body so the bolt just slides out without disturbing anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom