rear derailleur problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jenno

Hi. A couple of weeks ago I came off my bike on the drive side. The next time I used my bike when I changed into the largest cog the derailleur changed into the spokes. I took it to the lbs for repair , but they advised me that the hanger was bent and it was a bmc specific part.
I ordered the correct hanger and fitted it myself . When I looked at the original hanger it did not look bent or damaged.
Once complete I changed into the largest cog very carefully , but the derailleur still hit the spokes. I then set about resetting the limit screws.
The spokes now pass the rear derailleur but only by 1 mm or 2mm max. Is this acceptable and safe?
I'd not, any idea what might be the problem?
I ride ultegra di2.
Many thanks.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I would hope for a bit more of a gap than 2mm. If all the gears are operating smoothly up and down changes - then I would be fairly confident that all was well. If so I would adjust the low limit screw in a mm or so to move the derailleur further from the spokes and see how it worked. Also worth checking if there is a washer missing or in the wrong location from the back axle on the cassette side. A washer may have been on the inside of the gear hanger rather than on the outside.

Top Bottom