Rear derail'r cogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
hiya , Ive just stripped off the complete drive on my MTB , just to check up on Idrive and HT bb ,the two sprockets on the derail'r have some play in them ,more than i like , is that something that can turn into a problem , are they easy to put right or just buy new ? Cheers

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I'm an old git only conversant with the older stuff. However, if you mean the jockey wheels in the rear mech itself and your stuff is Shimano or big S compatible, at least one should have size to side movement. I think it was the top one. It helps with the smooth shifts or something.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I'm an old git only conversant with the older stuff. However, if you mean the jockey wheels in the rear mech itself and your stuff is Shimano or big S compatible, at least one should have size to side movement. I think it was the top one. It helps with the smooth shifts or something.

Yep thats it , cheers for that !!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
^^^^
Would it pay to take jockey wheels of an re grease ?

I used to do it when I was really keen. I'm not sure it did a lot of good. It did mean I got any grit out though. There weren't any bearings in mine just a metal bush that was slightly longer than the width of the jockey plus the two little metal cups that ran on the bush.

If you replace them make sure you get ones with the same number of teeth. Also, the one I got as replacement were generic ones that come with a number of plastic spacers. This is I suppose, to allow for different width chains so don't bin the old ones until you have measured the width!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Remove the jockey wheels regularly, at a frequency dictated by the length and dirtiness of your rides, clean them right off, grease/lube and refit. Will maintain the effectiveness of your RD. They are very exposed and thus particularly benefit from regular tlc.

lpretro1

There will be a little movement esp in the top one - but if really wobbly then the little bearing is worn. Get new ones and fit (TACX are decent pones)

Top Bottom