Rear dropouts width - 130mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

I have a 17 year old Raleigh Road Ace with a Reynolds steel frame.
I wish to bring this bike`s groupset in to the 21st century ( currently fitted with Shimano 600 gear ). I have been made aware that I can have my rear drop-outs widened by a frame builder but I`m not sure this is totally necessary. I would probably want to upgrade to Shimano Ultegra 10 speed. Any advice most welcome. BTW as per the subject field the inner distance at the drop-outs is at present 130mm.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
130mm is the standard for road bikes - you should be fine upgrading

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Ta for that. I mainly asked the question cos at my local shop I was told that the new bikes hanging on the wall have a drop-out of 140mm and I`d probably need to have my 130mm widened to enable use of modern 10 speed cassette ! Maybe someone was trying to sell a new bike ? You are, I assume, very confident that there should be no problem ?

U

User482

I'm pretty sure that road bikes are 130mm and MTBs 135mm, so I don't know what would be 140mm. 10 speed will fit in 130mm.

You do get some exceptions - e.g. my Thorn road bike is 135mm so always worth checking.

Chris James

Über Member
User482 said:
I'm pretty sure that road bikes are 130mm and MTBs 135mm, so I don't know what would be 140mm. 10 speed will fit in 130mm.

This is my understanding too. Old road bikes were 126mm, newer road bikes 130mm and MTB 135mm.

None of them are 140mm.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you can find 150mm MTB's , but these are the heavy duty DH monsters.

Trackbikes are 120
roadbikes are 130
Mtb's are 135

BUT (in big capital letters) you can find variations in this, but they are uncommon

Top Bottom