Rear duel pivot caliper brake slow slow to release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all After fitting new mudguards having to remove rear brake assembly to do so when I'd replaced found that brakes were not releasing instantly so first though it was the main mounting bolt fixing that was over tightened but what ever tightness I adjusted it too it still wouldn't release am I looking at stripping the whole assebly down just in case i've somehow seized it? though perhaps it just needs a good stip down and sevice? any ideas would be welcome thanks

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Firstly I'd retighten the mounting bolt as it has no effect on the movement of the calipers. Then disconnect the cable and see if the calipers move freely like that, if they do then replace the cable. If not, come back to us.

Gunk

Guru
It does surprise me how many bikes we buy where the inner cables are completely dry and rusty.

I don’t think bike shops pull them out and grease them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It does surprise me how many bikes we buy where the inner cables are completely dry and rusty.
I don’t think bike shops pull them out and grease them.
That's because the recommendation with 'modern' aka current cables is that they are best not greased and run better without - outers have linings which minimise the friction 'tween cable and outer, and grease offers no benefit. I'm talking 'normal' stainless steel cables here, not stuff attached to BSOs.
How many bikes have you bought, @Gunk , the cables of which "are completely dry and rusty"? Why did you buy a BSO?

Ajax Bay

Guru
jgi 'BSO cycle'

Gunk

Guru
jgi 'BSO cycle'

I buy plenty of of BSO’s 😮 typical 10 year Oxford bike has never been cleaned or serviced so seized brakes are common and the cables are brown when you pull them out, so I know it’s frowned upon but I do give the replacement cable a light layer of oil or grease.

315B73CC-EE48-4573-800C-B89B0BB30335.jpeg

49DA26EF-4AEF-4410-83BC-234B12CF4161.jpeg

866BB80A-4041-4007-A510-63D49E5A6E90.jpeg

Top Bottom