Rear ended - again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

This goes on a bit so Ill cut it short. Bit shakey still so bear with me.

I was stopped at a red light, primary position, ready to go straight on. Woman behind starts shouting the same old "your in the middle of the road" (which we'll come on to later) etc etc. At one point she then rolls the car forward and bumps the back of the bike, leaving a clear mark on her bumper of the contact. I then say I phoning the police, and she says shes doing the same - I thank her, because that means I dont have to use up my credit on the phone :wacko:! She's then playing around on her phone and I get the picture she's not calling the police so I call them myself. I tell the call taker my location, that she had intentionally drove at the back of the bike, and that I would like an officer to come and diffuse the situation. The call taker continues to take details while the woman in the car talks what appeared at first to be two passers by. I overheard one of them say something to her which indicated they knew each other and I realised she'd called for back up of her own. I then tell the police to send an officer asap as Im quickly being outnumbered, the response was along the lines of "If you could pop into a police station you can make a statement". I then ask if the local station is open so I could ask why they cant send an officer from there as its literally a few hundred meters away, and the womans husband arrives. Hes a big chap and Im thinking - ooooooh sh*t. I decide to keep the police on the phone as a security blanket while I discuss with the bloke what had happened and he seemed to want to diffuse it also.
The driver then kicks off saying that I was infront of her and she told me to get out the way (while the lights were red - so clear that she intended to ram me out the way surely?).
The husband asked if Id accept an apology and I said yes - the woman kicks off saying she already apologised etc etc. She got back in the car and I discuss with her much calmer husband what happened. He was very understanding and, although initially defending his wife by arguing that I should be on the left of the traffic and the contact was only minor, quickly recognised that I was not in the wrong. I put my hand out to resolve it, shook, and thanked him.

The whole incident lasted 15 mins, but hopefully he can educate his wife that running cyclists off the road isnt a wise idea when the have a mobile phone to call the police and a helmet cam recording everything.

Slightly OT, I decided to phone the police to see what procedure was when someone requests and officer to attend because they are threatened. Ironically I got put through to a call taker that I reported a previous incident to and he said sarcasticly,
"You have a camera on your helmet? Ive had a couple of calls of someone else who has a camera on the bike and reports all sorts of stuff". I bit my lip because when I reported to this guy before he asked, "whats threatening about someone saying do you want your bike taking off you" and was more interested in what gave me the right to video my journeys. Faith in Cleveland Police before today = 0
Faith in Cleveland Police after today less than 0

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Thats shocking behavior from both the driver and the call taker on behalf of the police... sounds like you had no backup from them at all and they are quite happy for vulnerable road users to be intentionally hit by much larger vehicles :/

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
See the impact that camera wearing cyclists are having? Disgraceful, I fell your pain Mike, someone elses insecurities on a bike and the need to capture and report everything captured on vid has lead to a the operator not dealing with your situation correctly.

Had there been no camera wearing idiots reporting stuff then no doubt the 'Borough version of SO19 would have turned up within 26.85 seconds of you ringing the Police. To deal with your problem with some rubber bullets, tasers and a lot of pain.

And if everyone wore helmets then no cyclists would die.
what a ridiculous statement to make. (and i'm not just talking about mine)

Crankarm

Guru
At the point you told the call centre operator that things were getting nasty and you were outnumbered, felt threatened, etc. I would have said, "Do you now grade this as a 999 or do I redial 999?" I would have said the woman driver clearly appeared drunk. That would have got an immediate response from plod.

I take it you fortunately were not injured, shaken, but not stirred.

So mike, when's the footage going up on Youtube so this idiotic and dangerous woman can be indentified?

You can still make a complaint to the police about her driving into you DELIBERATELY and of the poor response by the police themselves.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Crankarm said:
At the point you told the call centre operator that things were getting nasty and you were outnumbered, felt threatened, etc. I would have said, "Do you now grade this as a 999 or do I redial 999?" I would have said the woman driver clearly appeared drunk. That would have got an immediate response from plod.

I take it you fortunately were not injured, shaken, but not stirred.

So mike, when's the footage going up on Youtube so this idiotic and dangerous woman can be indentified?

You can still make a complaint to the police about her driving into you DELIBERATELY and of the poor response by the police themselves.

I dont really fancy stretching the truth with saying the driver appeared drunk etc (just quite fat!), plus I thought the situation itself was serious enough to warrant a response of some kind. Never mind ey. Im not going to put the footage on, firstly there was a child in the car and I think it would be wrong to do so. Secondly the matter with the driver (although via her husband) was eventually resolved with an apology so Im not fussed about putting the footage on as it wouldnt acheive anything.

As for complaining any further about the driver to the police, I think she may be getting more of a telling off from her husband! ;)

Otherwise the rest of the ride was really nice :wahhey: Was wearing my new "I do all my own stunts" bike t-shirt that I got at the York cycle show and it raised some smiles, even had a learner driver as to borrow my bike because her bloke in the passenger seat was doing her head in :biggrin:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
User3143 said:
Had there been no camera wearing idiots reporting stuff then no doubt the 'Borough version of SO19 would have turned up within 26.85 seconds of you ringing the Police. To deal with your problem with some rubber bullets, tasers and a lot of pain.

Get in that man....Lee you need a job in our control room, thats the sort of bck up I want!
;)

BSRU

A Human Being
User3143 said:

What risk spilling their coffee and doughnuts all over the response vehicles floor, there weren't any marginally speeding motorists involved or any chance of using anti-terrorist laws to arrest someone for speaking their mind. Why would they waste their time?

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
BSRU said:
What risk spilling their coffee and doughnuts all over the response vehicles floor, there weren't any marginally speeding motorists involved or any chance of using anti-terrorist laws to arrest someone for speaking their mind. Why would they waste their time?

Are you mad, miss an opportunity to use blue lights and sirens and jump out of the van looking all macho for the girlies!...Obviously have no idea about modern Policing have you?:laugh:

BSRU

A Human Being
Vikeonabike said:
Are you mad, miss an opportunity to use blue lights and sirens and jump out of the van looking all macho for the girlies!
Sounds like our local Police on the daily McDonald's run, important not to let Big Mac's get cold otherwise they would taste "terrible". If you had seen our local girlies you would realise the Police would be jumping into the van.

jimboalee

There's only one way to deal with that situation.

You walk round to her side window.
She opens it.
You make a sudden movement with your left hand toward her face.
She closes her eyes and turns her head.
In the next instant, you grab the car keys out of the ignition and hurl them as far down the road ( into a garden for example ) as you can.

Ride away.

BSRU

A Human Being
jimboalee said:
There's only one way to deal with that situation.

You walk round to her side window.
She opens it.
You make a sudden movement with your left hand toward her face.
She closes her eyes and turns her head.
In the next instant, you grab the car keys out of the ignition and hurl them as far down the road ( into a garden for example ) as you can.

Ride away.
When she closes her eyes and turns away you want to swap her key with an identical type of key, you just happen to have hidden on your person, it will take her years to realise what has happened.
Obviously days before that you have had a vision of some sort so you're ready.

Top Bottom