Rear ended on Friday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

I've been having what can only be described as a migning time on the roads lately. Had months with no kind of mishap, then the last fortnight has been grim.

Friday was horrid. On the way home from work, I got rear ended by a car. I'd stopped at a 'keep clear' box, the traffic was bumper to bumper and another bike wanted out there (from the side road, to my left). Car behind me didn't like that, sounded her horn. I turned round, she gave me a savage face and a hand gesture, I'm ashamed to say I gave her a gesture back. After all, when I stopped I couldn't get all the way through the keep clear box, there was a cyclist wanted out there anyway, so I waited. Woman behind me had no business sounding her horn at me, had even less bisuness giving me rude gestures.

Cycled on again, slowly, because there wasn't much point rushing to catch up with the traffic ahead. She got way too close, seemed very aggress, and nudged me from behind. I'd been considering stopping to dismount, but I didn't get the chance, she hit me first.

I insisted on her contact details, she refused. I insisted agian, she still refused. I waited, rush hour traffic building up, another motorist got out and said she'd be a witness, saying she'd seen everything, seen me pull out of the side road and give her a rude gesture (mistaking me for the other cyclist who I'd let out). At that point, I wasn't going to get anywhere, I rode on, straight to the polcie station. Didn't get there before the same motorist intentionally passed close and pulled straight in to the kerb though.

So, I reported it. Went straight to the station and made a report, Plod phoned back later and explained that yes, it might well be on CCTV. Yes, if it happened as I describe it said footage will show me to be right and her to be wrong, and yes, she broke the law in refusing to stop, and in hitting someone from behind in that way she's clearly in the wrong. But no, despite there being a small amount of damage to my bike (back wheel needs some attention), the CPS won't take action on it (they won't decide that it is in the public interest to take action) so the police don't really want to persue it.

Plod woman I talked to didn't understand really why I chose to stop, and wanted to know if there is a cycle lane there (there isn't, but how the smeg is that relevant?).

I got them to agree that they'll look at the CCTV footage. Nothing will come of it, but I'll make damned sure that I push this as far as I can.

Come to Cambridge, the town where you can assault cyclists freely, as long as you use your car. Even if its on CCTV footage, it isn't in the public interest to prosecute.

domtyler

Über Member
Oh dear, that sucks!

Get three quotes for the repairs to your bike, tell them to spare no expense. Launch a civil claim to get your money back through the small claims court. It's very easy you can do it online and my experience was that results come very quickly indeed once they realise that they are being sent a court summons. I started proceedings against someone from eBay who mucked me around and stole money from me, the day the letter went out I received payment in full.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Tetedelacourse

Cab said:
I've been having what can only be described as a migning time on the roads lately. Had months with no kind of mishap, then the last fortnight has been grim.

Friday was horrid. On the way home from work, I got rear ended by a car. I'd stopped at a 'keep clear' box, the traffic was bumper to bumper and another bike wanted out there (from the side road, to my left). Car behind me didn't like that, sounded her horn. I turned round, she gave me a savage face and a hand gesture, I'm ashamed to say I gave her a gesture back. After all, when I stopped I couldn't get all the way through the keep clear box, there was a cyclist wanted out there anyway, so I waited. Woman behind me had no business sounding her horn at me, had even less bisuness giving me rude gestures.

Cycled on again, slowly, because there wasn't much point rushing to catch up with the traffic ahead. She got way too close, seemed very aggress, and nudged me from behind. I'd been considering stopping to dismount, but I didn't get the chance, she hit me first.

I insisted on her contact details, she refused. I insisted agian, she still refused. I waited, rush hour traffic building up, another motorist got out and said she'd be a witness, saying she'd seen everything, seen me pull out of the side road and give her a rude gesture (mistaking me for the other cyclist who I'd let out). At that point, I wasn't going to get anywhere, I rode on, straight to the polcie station. Didn't get there before the same motorist intentionally passed close and pulled straight in to the kerb though.

So, I reported it. Went straight to the station and made a report, Plod phoned back later and explained that yes, it might well be on CCTV. Yes, if it happened as I describe it said footage will show me to be right and her to be wrong, and yes, she broke the law in refusing to stop, and in hitting someone from behind in that way she's clearly in the wrong. But no, despite there being a small amount of damage to my bike (back wheel needs some attention), the CPS won't take action on it (they won't decide that it is in the public interest to take action) so the police don't really want to persue it.

Plod woman I talked to didn't understand really why I chose to stop, and wanted to know if there is a cycle lane there (there isn't, but how the smeg is that relevant?).

I got them to agree that they'll look at the CCTV footage. Nothing will come of it, but I'll make damned sure that I push this as far as I can.

Come to Cambridge, the town where you can assault cyclists freely, as long as you use your car. Even if its on CCTV footage, it isn't in the public interest to prosecute.

;)

Holy wheel-nudgers Cab, that is a horror story and infuriating to the max. Both on the part of the motorist and the treatment you were given by the police. It's difficult not to feel that some sort of immediate retribution was merited in that instance. I for one would have struggled to contain myself.:biggrin:

At least you avoided injury and serious damage to the bike though.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

I'll see what the CCTV shows. If its clear on there, I'll demand that plod do prosecute. That'll scare the driver more than the repair bill would (which I can do by faffing around with spokes and riding around to straighten the wheel out, I should think).

Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse;38652][QUOTE=Cab said:

;)

Holy wheel-nudgers Cab, that is a horror story and infuriating to the max. Both on the part of the motorist and the treatment you were given by the police. It's difficult not to feel that some sort of immediate retribution was merited in that instance. I for one would have struggled to contain myself.:biggrin:

At least you avoided injury and serious damage to the bike though.[/QUOTE]

ps try and see it from her point of view:o):biggrin: (I am joking!)

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Tetedelacourse said:
ps try and see it from her point of view:o):biggrin: (I am joking!)

;)

From her point of view, she'd been stuck behind me in traffic since before the last crossroads; she'd been looking at me for, what, three minutes or so. I was obviously obscuring her view of all of the rest of the traffic that was crawling slowly along the road. Oh, and I'm a cyclist, so I'm fair game (the Police back that view up every time they don't push to prosecute someone like that :biggrin: )

monnet

Guru
If it makes you feel better, I did have a bit of a result recently. A different situation but one that plod resolved much to my satisfaction.

A few weeks ago I was on a fairly busy road when some young scumbags came past far too close, shouting abuse at me (presumably for being a cyclist), I made the international w@nker sign and continued. Only for me to pass them parked up outside a shop 5 minutes later where again I was verbally abused, I carried on without reacting. Another miunute or so up the road they came past again verbally abused me and squeezed my into the curb and then the rear passenger tipped a soft drink all over me!

My immediate reaction was to call the police, the copper on the desk actually asked what I'd done to provoke them! Anyway I insisted I'd been assaulted (a section 37 assault) and that I'd managed to get the registration. That afternoon I gave a statement to a very friendly, understanding and considerate policeman. He told me he'd keep me informed. The next I knew, he'd been to see the driver, who he couldn't really do anything about, but leant on him to get the name of the passenger. The passenger was then arrested and formally cautioned. It might not be alot, but it's something and better than those standard letters that haulage companies post out saying sorry.

It might seem like we are second class citizens at times but the Police aren't always against us.

bonj2

Cab - threaten them with the IPCC. (and i don't mean the climate change lobby.) Just simply go in, give them the ultimatum 'prosecute now, or i make a formal complaint.' They'll not want the investigation even if they think it'll be found in their favour. CCTV or no CCTV.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think I'd be bothering to threaten the police with anything, but I would persue a civil claim against her for the wheel.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

bonj said:
Cab - threaten them with the IPCC. (and i don't mean the climate change lobby.) Just simply go in, give them the ultimatum 'prosecute now, or i make a formal complaint.' They'll not want the investigation even if they think it'll be found in their favour. CCTV or no CCTV.

Without the CCTV they've got nothing and I wouldn't dream of trying to prosecute. That IS a waste of time. If there IS footage covering it then I may well make such a demand.

Tynan

Veteran
the only bit I think not a good idea was the cycling slowly after the gesturing, that is bound to be seen as deliberate provocation

not saying it was anything of the sort

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Tynan said:
the only bit I think not a good idea was the cycling slowly after the gesturing, that is bound to be seen as deliberate provocation

Difficult one that. I mean, I would like to tear off at a pace from that kind of incident, but when someone gets aggressive then I'm nervous to go off at speed, it just seems like if they DO try anything stupid it'll hurt more if it goes wrong. So I set off slowly, didn't then speed up much because I was in two minds about stopping in the road and dismounting (pulling to the side in a narrow road like that would seem to be inviting her to pass too closely).

Even if I had provoked her, it wouldn't in any way excuse her actions, of course.

Tynan said:

I done this not so long ago, and won't be trying it again!!! guy just floored it and drove straight at me, had to go up on the kerb to avoid being crushed, and there was no way he had enough breaking distance to stop without hitting me!! the joys of NW London:evil:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Sound like a polite letter to the Chief Constable is in order, we all have the right to use the roads without the threat of assault. This sort of behaviour wouldn't be acceptable if it was motorist on motorist or motorist on pedestrian. So why should cyclist be used as second class citizens.

skwerl

I think the Police are just trying to make things efficient and save cash. They know that the CPS will have to weigh up one case against another. The CPS only follow up cases they know have a good chance of success without massive cash outlay at tax payers' expense (obviously when it comes to serious crimes it's a different story). At least that way there's control over what our cash get's spent on.
If you insist that the Police file the report they will do so but don't be surprised when the CPS come back saying it's been dropped.

Top Bottom