Rear gears jumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Many things. What's wear and tear like. Indexing could be slightly out, mech hanger slightly bent, stiff link in chain, crud in cassette and on jockey wheels, sticking cables.

Loads to go off.

Check the cables are OK, (the outer cable to the rear mech has a habit of corroding inside*), and if they're ok re-index the gears and see how you go.

This is a great vid that de-mystifies setting up gears, it's well worth a watch.

*during routine maintenace I put a dab of grease on the ends of this short outer cable to help stop water ingress, and TBH I've not had any issues since I started doing it either :thumbsup:

[EDIT] x posted with fossy, must type faster ^_^

I'll have a look closer tomorrow.... Shouldn't be wear or tear as bike is a year old and only done 50 miles.

Shouldn't be as you say, but I managed to cabbage one really quickly once on a brand new bike. It got wet on one of it's first rides out and a week or so later the gear change was pants. I had to put a new short piece of outer cable to the rear mech to fix it.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Check the cables are OK, (the outer cable to the rear mech has a habit of corroding inside*), and if they're ok re-index the gears and see how you go.

This is a great vid that de-mystifies setting up gears, it's well worth a watch.

*during routine maintenace I put a dab of grease on the ends of this short outer cable to help stop water ingress, and TBH I've not had any issues since I started doing it either :thumbsup:

[EDIT] x posted with fossy, must type faster ^_^

Shouldn't be as you say, but I managed to cabbage one really quickly once on a brand new bike. It got wet on one of it's first rides out and a week or so later the gear change was pants. I had to put a new short piece of outer cable to the rear mech to fix it.

Thanks mate I'll have a good luck tomorrow, let ya know how I get on.

Top Bottom