1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear gears keep jumping

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Womble, 17 Oct 2007.

1. Womble

Womble New Member

And its a new bike,

The gears keep slipping, this started happening when i first got the bike, took it back to the shop they fixed it, started again about 3 weeks later took it back in, it worked well for a while, had to take the rear wheel off to repair a punture and since i put it back it has been worse than ever with only about 3 of my gears not slipping. I've tightened the gear cable this seems to have helped a bit.

Any help greatly appreciated

2. Womble

Womble New Member

Newish bike! 3 months old

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

With a bike that new I wouldn't bother getting your own hands dirty. Take it back in.

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Usually the cable, a new cable will stretch a bit until it hits its optimum length.
    In the first 3 or 4 months of owning my new bike I adjusted the cable maybe every two or three weeks, but it's fine now. If I think I'm going to leave the bike for a couple of weeks I drop the chain onto smallest cog front and back so the cable doesn't remain under constant tension. This depends on how your gearing works BTW.(I also detach the calliper brakes !!)

6. Membrane

Membrane New Member

You've done something wrong if gears are skipping after a rear wheel removal & refit. Check that nuts are properly tightened, that any washers have been put back in the right place, and that the wheel has been aligned properly.

7. Womble

Womble New Member

All sorted now - thanks for the advice