Rear Hub Much Quieter After Less Than 50 Miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WuMyster

Does a quieter hub always indicate something bad (pawls stuck) or can it be completely fine? Hoping the former so I have an excuse to get my hub reassembled as I LIVE for a loud hub.

TIA

What brand?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Not necessarily bad, some do wear in and settle down a bit, Sturmey Archer particularly IME and my ageing alfine is getting noisier and clickier

Never had a DT Swiss hub, only know them for spokes.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have a DT Swiss 240s hub and I think mine got louder once it had be been used a bit. Still loud now.

DT Swiss.

Also, the clicks do not all sound regular. Some quieter than other clicks so actually something must be wrong?

OK, which particular model? DT Swiss has two ratchet technologies. One is a clutch, the other uses a pawl system. The pawl model can become quieter if grease or mud gets in there, which it does, because the seals are made from Swiss cheese, that type of cheese with the big holes.

OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

OK, which particular model? DT Swiss has two ratchet technologies. One is a clutch, the other uses a pawl system. The pawl model can become quieter if grease or mud gets in there, which it does, because the seals are made from Swiss cheese, that type of cheese with the big holes.

Well that's a shame. Pretty sure it's the pawl model. It's the stock hub on this bike https://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-race/attain/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-carbonnflashyellow-2016/

Well that's a shame. Pretty sure it's the pawl model. It's the stock hub on this bike https://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-race/attain/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-carbonnflashyellow-2016/
I have no idea what hubs are on that bike.

However, here's a DT Swiss hub that went silent on its owner.

DT SWiss Dirty Pawls.jpg
upload_2016-12-5_17-3-3.png

The reason is clear. Water entered and emulsified the grease and formed a paste that made the pawls shut up. Right after this the spring rusts right through and the pawls are set free to not do their work and you have a free spinning crank.

Power washers and sumberged hubs are the biggest culprit but also storing a bike inside and then taking it out in the cold when it is raining. It then sucks water in.

It is a horrible design yet, probably the best-selling non-Shimano hub in the world.

OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

I have no idea what hubs are on that bike.

However, here's a DT Swiss hub that went silent on its owner.

View attachment 153535 View attachment 153536

The reason is clear. Water entered and emulsified the grease and formed a paste that made the pawls shut up. Right after this the spring rusts right through and the pawls are set free to not do their work and you have a free spinning crank.

Power washers and sumberged hubs are the biggest culprit but also storing a bike inside and then taking it out in the cold when it is raining. It then sucks water in.

It is a horrible design yet, probably the best-selling non-Shimano hub in the world.

Thing is it's 10% humidity where I am, dry day and hasn't rained at all since I got the bike. Not one speck of dirt on the frame because of how dry the roads are. I'm a bit mystified as to how water could have gotten in.

I may be looking to get a new hub already... I can't stand silent hubs

Thing is it's 10% humidity where I am, dry day and hasn't rained at all since I got the bike. Not one speck of dirt on the frame because of how dry the roads are. I'm a bit mystified as to how water could have gotten in.

I may be looking to get a new hub already... I can't stand silent hubs

No, don't get a new hub. It is pretty involved. Just open that one and have a look. It may not be as bad as that, perhaps the spring needs a tweak, perhaps there's too much grease in. On the DT Swiss website you'll find instruction on how to open the hub. Easy Peasy.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
some hubs do seem excessively noisy, something I first noticed in 2014 when climbing Ranmore from Dorking for the first time and a loud buzzy thing shot past in the opposite direction. I hoped my bike wasn't as noisy.
I noticed more noisy bikes during ride London and it seemed the more expensive bikes were loudest. well that was my impression.
I also noticed many fast riders would freewheel 'loudly' for a second when coming up behind someone rather than using their voice or a bell to sound a warning. Not sure if I should marvel at their efficiency or despair at their laziness.

Top Bottom