Rear hub or mid hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Hi saving up for a new ebike next year..I have a carrera vengeance ebike at mo it’s good but struggles with hills and battery not great.. it uses a rear hub motor. I’ve been thinking of getting a mid motor next are they any better?

been looking at orbea ebikes which I prefer the look of the most but would mean having to stick with a rear hub motor again as they don’t seem to do mids .. just like the look more than other brands

if I’m not going to benefit from what I’ve already have on my carrera will be no point getting a orbea then I will switch to a mid motor bike

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can you get a test ride ?
I wouldn’t want to spend £££ before trying.

Drago

Legendary Member
In all honesty, it matters very little. If youre a really hard riding off road merchant then the mid drives benefits outweigh its cons, but most people would still see a greater performance gain from taking some proper tuition and improving their riding. On the tarmac it matters not a single jot whether its rear or mid drive.

250Wh is 250Wh whatever bike it is powering. Depending on the year, your Vengeance will have a 50 or 60Nm motor - im near on 19 stones weight and 60Nm has little difficulty assisting me up the nastiest hill. Best youll get within sensible money is 70Nm, but youd have to be a seriously fat bar sterward to genuinely feel the benefit of a mere 10Nm.

Decide what type of riding you do the most, be realistic about how much legal power limits are ever really going to help you, then go and test ride a few.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
If you want off the shelf with a fair bit of torque, then a generation 4 2020 bosch motor have 75-85nm. These are crank based motors.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi saving up for a new ebike next year..I have a carrera vengeance ebike at mo it’s good but struggles with hills and battery not great.. it uses a rear hub motor. I’ve been thinking of getting a mid motor next are they any better?

been looking at orbea ebikes which I prefer the look of the most but would mean having to stick with a rear hub motor again as they don’t seem to do mids .. just like the look more than other brands

if I’m not going to benefit from what I’ve already have on my carrera will be no point getting a orbea then I will switch to a mid motor bike

The hub motor on your Carrera is fairly pokey - you won't get a legal ebike with a lot more power.

The Orbea bikes use the 'light assist' Ebikemotion motor which will feel very weedy after the Carrera.

Worth trying a Bosch bike because you may find you can climb better using the gears.

But don't expect a lot more outright power.

gzoom

Über Member

What gearing does it have, my Boardman only has a 250watts motor, but even with setting on 100watts in the larger gears it really flies up hills. On 250watts, with a high gear even 15% gradients require very little effort if all you want to do is get up them - largest rear ring is 42.

Top Bottom